Thread: Need recommendation on moisture meters

Rajiv Dighe Guest

Need recommendation on moisture meters

Since I have just started using air dried lumber, I guess that should be next logical purchase. I can't keep borrowing my friend's meter all the time & neither can I afford the one he has ( delmhorst I believe ). Will the black cylindrical meter that LV has work just fine? I don't really need one of those fancy pinless types.

--Rajiv

I have a wagner

Can't comment on the others but I like the one I now have. I think it is a 605, don't have it in front of me right now, but does what I ask. I was concerned about trying to go low price and end up with less than what I wanted. FWW ran an article on them, and this helped me make up my mind.
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Mini Ligno

Quote Originally Posted by Rajiv_in_KW
    Since I have just started using air dried lumber, I guess that should be next logical purchase. I can't keep borrowing my friend's meter all the time & neither can I afford the one he has ( delmhorst I believe ). Will the black cylindrical meter that LV has work just fine? I don't really need one of those fancy pinless types.

--Rajiv
    I have a Mini Ligno which works great. I have compared it's readings with a much more expensive pro model that a friend saw will owner has and it reads the same as his. I bought mine through Amazon.com:
    <p align="center">
    MiniLigno Moisture Meter
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Thumbs up Miniligno

I have the miniligno and have been pleased with it so far (about two years). It is a pin-type meter. I believe I paid about $100 from Rockler.

Although, this has got me thinking, it sure would be nice to try and calibrate this off of a known item.

Peter Lyon
    Peter Lyon

Thumbs up Miniligno

I have the miniligno and have been pleased with it so far (about two years). It is a pin-type meter. I believe I paid about $100 from Rockler.

Peter Lyon
    Peter Lyon

Hi Rajiv! I bought the LV Timbercheck metre that you're looking at and it works fine.It's a robustly built unit and comes with a spare set of pins, plus the battery(9V). You just have to remember that as the lumber dries, it dries at the ends quickest and to get a true reading, you will need to make a cut down from one end(4"-6") or if you do a rough size cut, you can then measure the MC on the freshly exposed wood. Gives accurate enough readings. You just have to remember to turn it off. See ya around!

Cheers, Ken
    Nobody is completely useless,... they can always be used as a horrible example!