Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Beloved Bunn Has Died

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Hi Belinda,

If it only leaks when you pour water in the top it's almost certainly the gasket between the upper plastic tank and the heating tank. Heat breaks it down and it crumbles. It's easily replaced using a Philips screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

I'm sure you can purchase the gasket from somewhere. I made one from a scrap chunk of Gylon. It's outlasted the Bunn gasket by a couple of years now.

-Tom Stenzel
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's leaking from the bottom, Tom.

I've learned to live without the garbage disposal that died about a year ago. The dishwasher now just basically is used for a final rinse with really hot water since it doesn't work worth a darn. But the coffee maker . . . that is just too much. Oh, and did I mention that my ice maker is leaking and I have to dump the tray about every three days because the bottom layer of ice is frozen into a solid sheet? I believe during the heat of the day I will be appliance shopping in a nice cool store. Instead of cleaning up I think I'll just dispose of everything and start over. My idea of a perfect house has waterproof surfaces and furniture with a hose and floor drain in every room.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I'm a bona fide neander when it comes to the coffee pot.
    I have an ancient 9 cup aluminum camp fire style percolator.
    One of these days I may splurge on a fancy enamel one. .

Truth is though, I'm too impatient to even wait for the water to heat in the microwave for the instant stuff.
    I just run the tap until it's hot - dump out 3/4 of the cup and toss in a tbl spoon of instant and gag it down.

Tastes horrible - but - the caffine rush snaps my eyelids open so fast they overshoot my forehead & end up on the top of my noggin...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'm a bona fide neander when it comes to the coffee pot.
    I have an ancient 9 cup aluminum camp fire style percolator.
    One of these days I may splurge on a fancy enamel one. .

Truth is though, I'm too impatient to even wait for the water to heat in the microwave for the instant stuff.
    I just run the tap until it's hot - dump out 3/4 of the cup and toss in a tbl spoon of instant and gag it down.

Tastes horrible - but - the caffine rush snaps my eyelids open so fast they overshoot my forehead & end up on the top of my noggin...
    You might look at a Bunn Rich. Brew a 1/2 pot of coffee in about 2 or 3 minutes. Brew a full pot in 4 or 5 minutes. Faster than you can let the dog out. Tastes great. Tastes the way I like coffee to taste.

PHM

You could buy a Mayan one but it will only have a less-than six month warranty.

If I get another coffee maker, it will be a Bunn. Unfortunately, my wife bought this "temporary" piece of garbage that just won't die!! I may abscond with it down to my shop, and replace it with a Bunn in the middle of the night someday.

I'm with Rich - we took a 30 year step backward and purchased a percolator. I love it, it's the way coffee is supposed to taste olde style, and we grind the beans fresh each morning before the pot is plugged in. < insert shameless plug for Pearl Coffee Diana Brand whole bean coffee from Akron,Ohio - Starbucks,........ take your $4 coffee and.......> I'm sorry, but I'm a junkie for a great cuppa ' Joe.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Bought a new Bunn. Trying it out in an hour or so. Yes, I've been up since 4 a.m.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    This may not seem like a tragedy to some, but I loved that coffee maker. I'm pretty simple. The dang thing is leaking about a cup of water every time I brew. My mama bought me that coffee maker so it has sentimental value (mostly because it was free). I guess I'm off to the store tomorrow morning to get a new one (which won't be free). Actually, my cousin Melanie died yesterday and I think the coffee maker gave up the ghost in her honor. The Barfield clan, of which we are/were members, starts drinking coffee in their baby bottles. I'm so tired of cancer taking members of my family . . . maybe we should lay off the coffee.

So, recommendations for coffee makers? I'm not going the French Press route. Just something simple and not prissy. Is it possible Dyson makes a coffee maker? I don't know the equivalent of Dyson in the wood working world - sorry.
    Bunn is still the best option until you get into the Technivorm price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Bunn is still the best option until you get into the Technivorm price range.
    I checked out Technivorms and they aren't that much more. I have a top of the line Cuisinart automatic grind and brew that sits on a shelf because it is too much of a pain to clean.

I like my new Bunn with my basic old Folgers coffee. I like to spend money on sparkly tiaras and shiny cars, coffee makers are just functional. Basic problem with buying the Bunn is that while I was at the store I bought two new lamps, shades, and a little desk lamp that was on sale, so my $150 Bunn ended up costing me a little over $300.

Bella Terra

Belinda I see you already bought a new coffee maker but a few years ago we had a bunn at the office that started leaking. We sent it back to bunn in Illinois and for about $35 they rebuilt it for us. It is still in use.

Russ