Thread: First turnings in over 6 months... 2 new bowls

First turnings in over 6 months... 2 new bowls

Well my lathe has been sitting lonely for too long a time. Last Thursday my uncle gave me a scroll saw so I thought it was the perfect time to get back to the lathe and turn him a "thank you" gift. I grabbed one of the Redwood Burl blanks that I cored out last year and made him this: (and I apologize for the lousy picts. I forgot to get good photos before delivering the bowls so these are iPhone picts where ever I could find light.)
    Mudge-bowl-5.jpgMudge-bowl-4.jpgMudge-bowl-3.jpgMudge-bowl-2.jpgMudge-bowl-1.jpg
    It is roughly 12" diameter and tall. Finished with many coats of gloss deft lacquer and then one coat of satin lacquer.

While I was waiting on the finish to dry I grabbed a piece of maple I got at a garage sale. This is a failed-experiment in form. I was going for something completely different until it flew off the lathe at one point. So now I call it my Maple Cereal Bowl!
    Cereal-Bowl-4.jpgCereal-Bowl-3.jpgCereal-Bowl-2.jpg
    Spalted, curly Big-Leaf Maple. 6-1/2" diameter, 2" tall. 2 coats of Deft gloss lacquer. Love the wood, hate the form. I achieved the bead I was after on the rim and then realized that wasn't what I meant at all. It is actually under-cut on the inside so it is a 3/4-round bead.

All comments, critiques, and suggestions for improvement greatly appreciated!!
    GK

Glad you got some turning time. Great looking wood Greg! I saw some Redwood burl that must have been 6 feet across last week in Muir Woods. I suppose they look like this inside!

3. Love the curl in those pieces...........glad you got some spinny time Greg..............If you have a good bit of that nice wood, I don't see how you can not turn once in a while! That is some pretty stuff! Very nice bowls...........I especially like the curly big leaf maple...........stunning! Super form on it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That has to be some of the craziest figure I've seen...cereal needs a good bowl too!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Amazing pieces of wood, and you did them right. Well done

Those are both super nice Greg! That maple is killer!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Gotta ... stop ... drooling ... on that burl. Superb material and a good job.

Glad you got in some shop time! Your Uncle is going to love that bowl! Amazing color and grain!

The Big Leaf Maple is a thing of beauty! Normally, the first thing I see when looking at a turning is the form. On this piece - the wood just jumps right out at you! Beautiful!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

He surely is going to love it. Both are great looking bowls and glad you got some time to turn.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

i really like the redwood burl, very nice