Thread: Anyone build/use Bluechick CNC Router?

Anyone build/use Bluechick CNC Router?

I'm looking for a small size CNC router that I can use to make cribbage boards and do engraving on small wood boxes - stuff like that. I like the looks of the Bluechick from Patrick Hood-Daniels 'Build Your CNC' website:

http://buildyourcnc.com/blueChickVer...achineKit.aspx

It seems like a robust machine - he suggests using a Porter Cable 892 series router (a 2 1/4 HP unit).

Anyone build and/or use the Bluechick?

John

I question the use of steel rollers on aluminum angle for linear motion, I ‘m sure there is a lot of wear, probably uneven.

I question whether you can tension the chain as tight as it needs to be.

I like the idea of the chain myself but have seen it disparaged elsewhere, there is some "cog effect" mentioned among other things.

I think you would be better off with cncrouterparts components, very easy to build a rolling chassis with it.

building any tool is a great experience, i built my own verticle sliding saw when i had no money and wanted one!! if i were gonna drop 2000 + on a kit i would look at "Joes cnc" i met joein dallas and he is an engineer with a very stable idea fr those at this level of machine, i have heard of builds running 2500 but for twice the size and bukkooo suport on his machine forum i would place my money there!

If you're willing to do the work to build a kit, consider one of the Chinese built machines. I have a 6040 unit similar to this one on eBay item #110758334341.
    It has real ballbearing slides and high precision ball screws. Most of the gantry and other critical components are made from 5/8" aluiminum jig plate. It comes with a 1 or 2HP water cooled spindle. The spindle is a 3ph motor driven from a VFD allowing speeds up to 24000 RPM, RPM can be set by through software from the G-code file. The collet is an industry standard ER11, the type used in high speed machine spindles in machine shops. You can get a set of collets that go from 1/64" up to 9/32". The machine easily holds 0.001" tolerance.
    It comes with a box that contains the power supply and drive electronics for the steppers. It is designed to run with Mach-3 software. I built my own drive electronics using the Gecko G540 because I want to run a 4th axis.
    It's a great basic machine. I've cut all kinds of wood as well as Acrylic, Delrin, Polycarbonate, and Aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by John Myers View Post

It seems like a robust machine -
    IMO, none of the buildyourcnc machines would be considered robust. While they claim high rapid speeds, the designs aren't rigid enough to cut very fast.

Look at the kits from cncrouterparts.com for a much better options for a similar price.
    Gerry

JointCAM

6. Although I have not built one of the BuildYourCNC kits, I did build a simple CNC machine using his book and info found on the net. The machine worked well enough. I was able to cut MDF and plywood at 50ipm. I used the PorterCable 690, which worked out very well. The drawback to the plywood and chain construction technique is the lack of rigidity and the dificulty of keeping the gantry square. As the chains loose tension through use the gantry moves out of square. Tightening the chains also moves the gantry out of square.

If you're looking for a hobby machine to use for light work, BuildYourCNC is a good place to start. I started that way and then continued to upgrade my machine unitl I had a CNC machine built out of aluminum extrusions and a rack and pinion drive system. Plus you can use the first machine to build the second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

Don't Dismiss the CarveWright.com Hobby Machine... Lots of bad press in the early years but worth a serious look now.... I have 4 of them and post as Digitalwoodshop on the CarveWright Forum. With a 14.5 Width Capability, it does Cribbage Boards well....

The first 2 Round Carvings were not done by me but fellow CarveWright Carvers. The Little Machine that Could... Buy the CW and make money to buy a big Machine...

Good Luck,

AL

Used machines are a good deal too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Check out Mechmate also

Your budget will determine almost everything in which build you go with. I am building the KRMx02 right now. In the earlier stages but I have been playing the buy vs. build game for a couple years and have researched the DIY CNC space extensively. Until I found the KRMx02 there were too many weaknesses in the other builds for me to get inspired. LOTS of people build the Joe's machine and the nice thing about the design is that it leaves a lot of room for customizing the build to your budget. The KRMx02 doesn't have the flexibility really other than size but you don't really need to mess with the design. If you do a search for Kronos Robotics KRMx02 you will find it. When you buy the book you get access to the forum. Michael Simpson wrote the book and he is very prompt in answering questions on the forum. I have been very happy with things so far. I should have mine built by the end of the month and can personally comment on functionality at that point but I am not concerned because as you start laying out all of the steel and aluminum you realize how robust of a machine it is going to be.

Hey There Not sure but this is what im working on now juts doing a few drawings to get the steel parts laser cut

MAXIROUTER1.jpg
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot