Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist oddity

Craigslist oddity

So, a few days ago I listed on Craigslist a 10" GMC (Australian company) sliding compound miter saw. I bought it on clearance at Lowe's several years ago for about $150, I think. I used it for a couple small projects, then upgraded to the Milwaukee 12" SCMS. The GMC has sat unused ever since, so I decided to sell it and listed it for $60.

Shortly after listing it, I received and email from a gentleman (who I'll call Fred) interested in the saw, and who offered $50. He asked for my address, and we arranged a time this morning for him to pick it up. At the appointed time, he pulled into my driveway.

Fred: I wasn't expecting this to be such a big town (my town is about 15,000)
    Me: Oh, you've never been here? Where are you from?
    Fred: Missouri.
    Me: Ah, well what brings you into Tennessee?
    Fred: Well, we saw this saw listed on Craigslist.
    Me: How far did you drive?
    Fred: Oh, I don't know. 6 or 7 hours.

He was a very clean-cut, well-spoken older gentleman. Is it just me, or is it strange that someone would drive 12 or 14 hours to buy a mid to low end miter saw? With the money he spent on gas, plus what he paid for the saw, he could have had a choice of several other saws at at big box store.

What gives?
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Have heard very similar stories, of people going to great distances for irrational bargains.

Some people get caught up in the thrill of the hunt that all logic goes out the window. Others understand what they are doing and really dont care. And sometimes there is a reason they want something that is not obvious to you (grandpa had one exactly like it when I was a little boy and we made so many great memories on it I want to do the same for my son).

I had a colleague once that was a Sales VP. He made big (BIG) money. On weekends he spent ALL of his free time going to yard sales and buying $1 and $2 items and then reselling them during his own yard sales. It was in his blood (and there was no real logic to it, he couldnt have made enough to make even a blip on his income level).

People are interesting. Next time offer him a drink and pull up a chair and chat a bit.

That is weird, but I find that people are getting very strange and unpredictable. I used to think it was me getting older and grumpier, if that's possible, but people sure seem to be difficult to figure out lately.
    Richard

Sometimes it is just a reason to take a trip that you might otherwise take. My wife & I have done that several times, but never for something so small. We did it just last weekend.

That is really no difference then people that drive 10 mile out of their way to save 50¢ on a bag of potato chips.
    Its like some people just don't think it cost anything to drive a car.

Blog Entries
    That is odd. Just a guess but I think maybe the guy just likes road trips. Riding around seeing the country.

PHM

He may just be "pulling your leg" and was in the area for some other reason he didn't want to share with someone he just met.

Also, I know people that will drive across town to save $.02/gallon on gas. "That don't make no sense."

He is from Missouri. 'Nuff said.

(OK...that was a joke. PLEASE do not get offended.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    He may just be "pulling your leg" and was in the area for some other reason he didn't want to share with someone he just met.

Also, I know people that will drive across town to save $.02/gallon on gas. "That don't make no sense."
    Yeah? So????

Blog Entries
    Now, now, Harold. Let's be nice. You wouldn't be from Kansas, would you? I live on the Kansas side of the Kansas City area and see that sort of cross-border trash talk. I would remind you that Missouri gave us Harry Truman and Walter Cronkite and Charlie Parker.

I'm going with the road trip idea. My brother-in-law uses any lame excuse he can to go on one. He's a farmer and has worked hard all his life. I think he just doesn't know how to take a real vacation so he 'justifies' his vacations as necessary trips to fetch parts for his implements. When he tells us that he and the wife just spent three days going a thousand miles to get some dinky part, we just smile. Good for him.

Truth be told, it's my dream to go cross country to get some machine. But I want a Bridgeport Universal mill with all the trimmings. Now THAT would be a road trip.

While he may be from Missouri, something tells me he was already in your area.

John

Roger you forgot the most important of all....Walt Disney.

I had someone drive from Cleveland (3 hours) to pick up a topper for a Ford Ranger I was giving away so I didn't have to try to dispose of it. Yet people from Toledo don't want to drive 8 miles into Michigan to pick something up unless I'll knock something off the price to make up for the long drive.

It may be like e-bay. The thrill/agony of winning/losing a bid. I've seen people bid MORE than retail for a used Penn reel. PLUS you have to pay shipping on top of that. Could have been gotten for cheaper from the big name catalog company..... I also know a guy, his wife has a swap meet "business" which takes up all of his time on the weekend. He makes more than that income in 1 hour of working at his normal work place. IF he could work.....

Must be the bath salts.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    That is weird, but I find that people are getting very strange and unpredictable. I used to think it was me getting older and grumpier, if that's possible, but people sure seem to be difficult to figure out lately.