Thread: speeds and spindles

speeds and spindles

Hi Folks,

So I'm a relative newbie to turning and have started with spindles. I was recently commissioned to reproduce a screen door built in the late 1800's and this door has 12 spindles, 6 between the two center rails 3 each in the pair of fans just above the center rails. The door was really fun to built, all through tenons, no glue just draw-bore pegged, and the spindles were the perfect way to force the learning process of turning.

So my question: what speeds do you like for turning small spindles (1/2" to 1" diameter)? I started slow, like 875rpms and moved up to something like 1300rpms and found I liked the faster speed. I was really wishing I had more than one set of calipers.... I was sizing in three different diameters on each spindle.

TIA!

I think I'd go in the 2000 rpm for something that size. Even faster wouldn't hurt anything. But slow it back down when you get to sanding or you run the risk of burning all the detailed edges.

The main rule for turning speed is always: only turn as fast as you feel comfortable turning.

There are equations floating around to find how fast you should turn x diameter piece. I really just amp speed until I feel it is right. With well mounted spindles, you could easily turn something 1" in diameter much faster than 1300rpm.

I generally turn those types of spindles around 2000 to 2200. The faster you go the better the cut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

welcome to the vortex.

There are several considerations for speed with spindles.

Generally wood species, length of spindle, angle of attack, pressure of the tailstock on the end of the spindle.

If the spindle has no flex, and your tools are sharp and you are cutting wood (not scraping) the the max recommended speed is 30 MPH. That translates to:

Diameter x rpm < 9000

So for your 1" spindle keep the lathe speed below 9000 rpm. Yea I know the top speed of the lathe is about 1/3 of that.

One other consideration about turning has the lathe top speed is that the bearings will heat up. This is okay but you likely don't want to run a new lathe at the top speed during the breaking period (the first 30 hours).
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

6. For spindle work you can go higher speed, and it will give you a better finish off the tool and less sanding. Just make sure you have sharp gouges/skews, and watch for flex........you don't want longer spindles without some support of a steady rest,or you will get a whip in the rotation.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for all the advice! I finished the door today! Had to go back and touch up a couple of the spindles but overall I was really happy. I'll try and get a pic of the spindles up tomorrow. It was pretty cool to get the feel of this work. After 4 or so they started to come out uniform in size/shape. I'd love to watch a really experienced hand turn something like this.....I could only get it down to about 30 min's for each spindle (that time doesn't include all the prep time for the blanks or all the mistakes!)

For your "calipers", get a section of 1/8" scrap ply/hardboard/whatever and cut out a "C" shape the dimension you need. Sharpie the dimension on so you know what it is. Cheap or free. Sand the edges..... Or you'll scratch up your turning.

Welcome!

Open-end wrenches also make good 'calipers'.