Thread: So, it's back to building stairs solo.

Cool So, it's back to building stairs solo.

After ten years of working with me, my son decided to move to Baltimore to become a fireman. It's all good, I used to work alone, but I'm ten years older now, like 64. I am seriously going to pick and choose the jobs I take now. Hell, if I was 35 years younger, I might pack up and become a fireman too, the construction business isn't what it used to be and I'm not having fun like I used to.

Send resume to above .
    Richard

Sorry to hear. If I were closer, and had the time, I'd help for free just to learn!

I tried running my business solo, and could not do it. Too many non-income producing chores to make the $ I needed to make to continue the lifestyle I wanted to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    If I were closer, and had the time, I'd help for free just to learn!

That makes two of us, Richard produces some gorgeous work and stairs and the associated woodwork always blows my mind. The simple staircases I have built for my own use have always been a nighmare, just ask my wife as she helped me assemble both of them...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Richard,

I'm in the exact same boat as you are. I'm just not quite as far down the river. My son is just finishing (next week) his EMT training. After he takes the state board exam, he goes off to paramedic training and to the fireman's academy. So, next year I'll be hiring someone and training them. It sure won't be the same. My son, besides being my son, is the best worker I've had in 20 years. I doubt I'll get so lucky with the next guy.

Jeff

Richard

I work alone a lot these days. Can't be as specialized as you, not enough people around here for that. Have not had an employee on the books in about five years. What I do is hire out of work small contractors when I need them. I pay them $25 hr. and they provide insurance. If I ever run out of work they are supposed to return the favor, but no one has ever called to see if I am busy. Thats all right, I'm always busy.

I too would be curious to see some of your methods, but there is no way you would ever get me anywhere close to where you live. Can't breath in the city

Installs will be tough alone, but maybe you can get a Co-Op system going like we have around here. Can't make any money on employees, but not sure I ever did anyway by the time I figure out all the expenses. Government mandated costs are too high to pay a good man enough hourly and make any money. Before I downsized I was losing money on all of my key guys.

I'm 56 now, with 63 broken bones coming back to hurt me so I know about the just not fun any more part. I hope to be doing just shop work in the next couple of years, but people are just not buying the custom pieces like they used to. Only built one custom piece last year. I'm going to try a custom door internet business, its something I like to do and easy work for the most part. Spread out my client base is my thought, will see.

Sorry you lost your son, but all you can do is wish him well. At least with a government job they won't be doing everything they can to drive him out of business. I lost a long time right hand man that I considered a brother a while ago to a heart attack, it is tough trying to replace someone that knows what to do without verbal communication. Haven't yet actually.

Wish you the best buddy, you know that. We always find a way to get the job done don't we. I pulled my last set of stairs up with a winch because I could not find help, you just get it done.

Gotta get to work......

Larry

Thanks for the reply Larry. I know you and I always can relate to each other. Your right about the paying people, never can pay them what they are worth and still make money. I do have a friend in the construction business with a small number of employees that I can draw from on a pay per day basis when I need the bull help. Thanks again, have a good day.
    Richard

This is a bittersweet thread. Happy for your son, sad for you at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Richard,

With your skills and talent, it would be great if you could pass along some of your skills to a young person. It would be great if you could have a young apprentice that really wanted to learn your trade. I wish I was a young person and could apprentice under a person with your skills.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Richard.......I'm with Von. I wish I was younger and lived near you! I would love to be your apprentice. Unfortunately I am not. I hope you are able to find an apprentice who wants to learn from a craftsman of your expertise!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I want to thank every one for their kind words. Yes it is bitter sweet, I want the best for my son but will miss him very much. Spending 8 to 9 hours every day with my son was sometimes difficult but most times rewarding and well spent.
    My real problem is, I don't know how much I have left in me, most days start with a hand full of pain killers and a Red Bull. The other part that's difficult is I know I'm a tough bastard to work for. My hard nose German father raised me to only do things right, and that's the way I expect it.
    Any way, thanks again.
    Richard

Hey Richard,I've been in wood floors for close to 30 yrs.,I'll be 62 in December.The majority of those yrs. i've worked alone, i like being able to schedule my own hrs. The guys i have had work for me both had 5 children, and whenever i got slow i'd make up work instead of sending them home.I was going to just walk away from my business, but i may find a good quality guy and run the business without me getting on my knees any longer.As to Stairs , I have done a few,just enough to appreciate the skill someone like yourself has.I wish you the best,and it ends up as lemonade. Rob

Good luck, Richard. You should be proud of your son. My Dad was a fireman for 30 years. And he absolutely forbid me to follow him into the business.

I regret following his advice at times.
    Where did I put that tape measure...