Thread: Broken Tool Rest Shaft on a Grizzly Lathe

Blog Entries

Arrow Broken Tool Rest Shaft on a Grizzly Lathe

Last week the tool rest broke on my two year old Grizzly lathe. The 1" cast iron verticle shaft snapped right below the horizontal bar. It was obviously a stress crack. Is this a common type of failure with a cast iron tool rest? Should I find a 1" steel shaft and have it welded to the horizontal piece?

I have seen a few 5/8" shafts that broke (I broke one of them). They were all cast iron. I think it would be more feasible to buy a new rest (Robust?) than to pay somone to repair the cast iron.

Agree with Dennis and I think you will find the Robust rest's are even better than they are cracked up to be!

The banjo on some Grizzly lathes won't accept aftermarket tool post without some modification. On the two grizzly machines I have owned I had to drill out the banjo to get the 1" post fit. It is pretty simple to do. I think welding would work fine. I broke a Grizzly toolrest on my G0689. They sent me a new one as it was in warranty.
    Fred

5. One thing that breaks tool rests is the way owners use them...........when you use just the last inch or so on the end of the rest, you are putting most of the stress on the weakest part of the rest..........it is not always possible to do it, but whenever you can use the middle and a little past middle of the rest so as to get the most support from the gusset underneath the rest. A heavy catch can snap the post off when the end is used.

Of course a steel rest will hold up better.........I have some round bar rests that are good, but by far the Robust style is the best of what I have used....I have one of their low profile versions, and really like it a lot.....if I were going to replace one, it would be with a robust one.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rick Herrell of Pilot Mountain Pencrafters makes very nice modular tool posts/rests to your specifications. Fast turnaround, quality materials and craftsmanship, and very reasonable prices. I have no relationship to Rick, other than as a very satisfied customer.