Thread: What I did last weekend...Can you say Walnut?

What I did last weekend...Can you say Walnut?

A Walnut tree was being cut down last week, so of course I was there to get what I could. There were about 5 other guys with the same idea as well, but they just wanted firewood. They let me have some of the bigger pieces and all the crotch pieces I wanted. Crotch pieces are tough to split for firewood so I was happy to oblige.

It wasn't the biggest load I've ever got, but it was still enough to keep me busy for a few days. My primary focus for this load was dinner plates, canister blanks, and maybe the crotch pieces will have some nice figure for pepper mills. And of course I can't pass up the opportunity to make some bowls!
    DSC04695.jpg

I chainsawed a few pieces and then spent a few hours rough turning. The results for day 1 were:
    4 dinner plates (12" diameter rough, 11" when finished)
    4 pepper mill blanks (12" long)
    2 pepper mill blanks (8" long)
    1 canister blank (8" x 8" x 8")
    5 bowls (the top two are 11-3/4" diameter, the bottom 3 are a nested set from 8-1/4" up to 11-3/4")
    and a couple of 1" thick scrap pieces for whatever.
    DSC04697.jpg

Day 2 results:
    4 more dinner plates. In case you're counting I now have a set of 8 Walnut dinner plates.
    1 canister blank 6" x 6"
    1 canister blank 5" x 5"
    2 pepper mill blanks (12")
    1 pepper mill blank (9")
    6 bowls (the 3 along the top are another nested set from 6-1/2" up to 12").
    (the two on the right below that are a nested set from 8" to 11-1/2")
    (and the one in the lower left is a single bowl 11-1/2" diameter)
    2 more scrap pieces for whatever.
    DSC04698.jpg

Day 3 results:
    1 small dinner plate (10")
    4 platters (13-1/2" to 16")
    3 bowls (another nice nested set from 6-1/4" to 13-1/4")
    and another chunk for whatever
    DSC04699.jpg

I'm still not done, I have a couple chunks left to process (in front). The pieces stacked up in back are from day 1, I was just getting them out of the way until I take them downstairs to dry. I'm taking Glenn Lucas's Signature class at Craft Supplies in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping to pick up some tricks and tips or new techniques that will help me speed up.
    DSC04704.jpg

And I thought I'd throw in a little gloat while I'm at it. I got a new Agazzani B/20-20 bandsaw the end of January. Let me just say that this measly piece of 5" thick Walnut doesn't stand a chance! This blank will give me four more 5"x5" canister blanks.
    DSC04700.jpg

My bandsaw is a beast. It doesn't even know when it's cutting wood. It doesn't vibrate and it doesn't complain. It's so solid and heavy duty, it really is a pleasure to use compared to my old saw. I catch myself once in a while as I'm in the middle of a cut thinking if I was doing this on my old saw the motor would be bogging down, the saw would vibrate or start moving across the floor, or I would be forced to slow down and cut a lot slower. It's worth every penny.
    DSC04703.JPG

DSC04683.JPG

I'm not much for cutting my own veneer, or seeing how thin of piece I can cut. But what the heck, I put on a Lenox 1" carbide tipped blade, set the fence by eye for a fairly thin cut, then proceeded to cut a 1/32" thick piece! That Lenox blade is amazing, the cut is so smooth, you have to look pretty close to see any blade marks. I'm impressed.
    DSC04694.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Scott; 04-04-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Wow, impressive load of wood and an equally impressive saw. Be sure to post photos of the Finished products!

4. You have been a busy beaver! Nice roughouts and a serious piece of woodworking equipment................that one is a fine saw!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

very nice, envy here, enjoy