Thread: mujingfang hand planes

mujingfang hand planes

Does anyone still sell these? I recently read a handplane review by Lyn Mangimeli, and these scored very high in terms of performance, comparing favorably with the likes of Knight and Lee Valley planes.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Lee Valley also has the high angle smoother
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    I checked that site, but they don't have the 60 degree Mujingfang, they only have the 45 degree. The 60 polishing plane they display is not Mujingfang and I am not sure how it would perform.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Lee Valley also has the high angle smoother
    Not exactly Mujingfang but is very similar, then again it is the 45 degree angle. the Mujingfag that really shines in the test above has the blade bedded at 60 degrees.
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 05-31-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi
    Not exactly Mujingfang but is very similar, then again it is the 45 degree angle. the Mujingfag that really shines in the test above has the blade bedded at 60 degrees.
    Hi Zahid:

Lee Valley does sell the Mujingfag HA smoother. This is the one you're looking for:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41182,41187

This plane was recently "outed" as the Mujuingfag of Lyn Mangimeli fame in the following thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19513

HTH.
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi
    I checked that site, but they don't have the 60 degree Mujingfang, they only have the 45 degree. The 60 polishing plane they display is not Mujingfang and I am not sure how it would perform.
    Both the Japan woodworker and Lee Valley have the Mujingfang 60 Degree smoother. I physically seen it at Japan woodworker last week. Lee Valley also sells it but removes the Mujingfang label for whatever reason. Japanwoodworker calls it a polishing plane and Lee Valley calls it a high angle smoother however they are both the same plane.

Gene