Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blood Sausage - have you ever?

Belinda

My wife and I are of German heritage - she grew up on a farm, and her family made the stuff - she loves it, as do my kids. Me - I can't stand to look at it - much less eat it - I had never seen it until I met my wife.

We have an agreement - if blood sausage is on the menu - she makes it when I'm not around, or I go out to eat.

As to pickled herring - yum..............lutefisk - I have eaten it (we live in a predominatly Norwegian area now). The locals love it, I can tolerate it, but
    it's not something I look for - now my neighbor (a good "Nor-VEE-gian" boy)- he can eat platters of the stuff....but that's another story...................

Happy New Year to all

Jim

I don't know if your friend had any exposure to someone of Basque culture but around here "blood sausage" is commonly known as chorizos - wonderful, spicy basque sausages. There is a soup that is made with the sausages that is called blood sausage soup. The local Hispanic culture also makes chorizos but theirs are more of a patty type sausage with a little different texture and flavor. If you ever get the chance to try a chorizo - do it, they are really good!
    ULS X-660, 60 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Coreldraw x4
    & A very handy & creative LOML

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Gill View Post
    I don't know if your friend had any exposure to someone of Basque culture but around here "blood sausage" is commonly known as chorizos - wonderful, spicy basque sausages. There is a soup that is made with the sausages that is called blood sausage soup. The local Hispanic culture also makes chorizos but theirs are more of a patty type sausage with a little different texture and flavor. If you ever get the chance to try a chorizo - do it, they are really good!
    Connie, could you possibly be thinking of Morcilla? Chorizo and Morcilla (basque blood sausage) are totally differant sausages.

neighbor brought me some xmas eve with some wheat crackers, since i am diabetic, looked at the label, sort of borderland on weather i should eat but once a year i added it to ham biscuits (once a year) we were nibbling on

My mom was born in 1912 on a farm in Wisconsin. They were basically self sufficient as far as most food. Pigs were raised and butchered with only the squeal not used. They made a variety of sausages including headcheese, sulze, and blood sausage. My mom loved all of it including pickled pigs feet. I never tried them but she loved them. If you want to try some of these, you can order most of these at Usinger sausage Co in Milwaukee, WI. An old world German butcher shop that was part of a History Channel offering on processed meat.

My dad loves scrapple and haggis.

Scrapple is what is left after butchering a pig all ground up cook and basically made into a meatloaf, and Haggis is ALL the guts and tongue of a sheep ground up and shoved in the stomach and cooked.