Thread: Jet gloat

Jet gloat

A Jet 1642 EVS followed me home today and SWMBO said I could keep it. What a ssweeet machine. I was turning on a Delta 46-700 my FIL gave me last year. This lathe is so quiet it is hard to tell it is running. The best part of the whole day is my 18 year old son helped me unload and assemble it. Then he turned the lathes inaugural bowl and his very first bowl. Up until now he had not shown much interest in my affliction but that machine was to appealing. He said he now sees why I like it so much. Got me a woodshop buddy now . Thanks to Dominic for his review of the lathe and for posting his plans for a weight box on this forum. Helped me make up my mind.
    I cut it twice and it's still too short

Robert congrats on the lathe. An even bigger congrats on your son!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks Jeff, the planets have aligned and life is good

It's nice that she said you could keep it.....Probably have to pay her back with some bowls eh?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Robert -

Very cool! Congratulations on the new lathe, but even more, congratulations on getting your son introduced.

Ted

No problemo!

Robert,
    Thanks! I'm glad that review was of some help to you.

Isn't that a sweet machine? And having your son take an interest is an added (and very gratifying) bonus.

I'm telling ya', as soon as you get it in the right location in your shop (cause moving it afterwords is a huge pain), add the ballast box and trestle legs. I promise, you will not be disappointed. Especially when you start turning big blanks!
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-20-2005 at 7:23 AM. Reason: edited profane acronym
    Dominic Greco

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grady
    Thanks to Dominic for his review of the lathe

Same thing happened to me after reading Dom's review. Best tool upgrade (from a 1236) I ever made. I consider the Jet 1642VS to be the Cadillac of mid range priced lathes.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Yup, it's a great lathe. One followed me home too about 6 weeks ago and I've never looked back. I too upgraded from a Jet 1236 and there is a world of difference.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

My face is going to be like this for sometime to come. LOML says it is even like that when I am sleeping now.

Thanks Guys

PS. was at woodcraft today and picked up the Crown 1/2 round x 1/2 thick scraper. Was marked 45.00. When they rang it up it gave a 40% discount because thay are discontinuing that scraper in thier store. Got it for 26.99. Might be worth looking into at other woodcraft stores. stock #143014

Congrats on the lathe Robert and your son being interested. That alone is worth more than the price of the lathe. Course you may have to buy you a lathe now.

Ernie