Thread: Wood Planner question

Red face Wood Planner question

I have a Delta table top planner. I have used it for a many years now and it has worked well. Lately I have noticed some small ridges in the boards I would say they are about 1/32 - 1/16 in height and no more than 1/8" wide. Not sure why I am getting these. I am using the second side of the blade and changed it out a few months ago. I have not planned a lot of wood on these blades. With some 80 grit I can sand these ridges out, but would rather not have them in the first place. Any Idea's on what is causing this and what I should do.

Scott

Sounds like chipped blades to me. I had a Delta 22-580 and you could bias the blades to one side or the other to help eliminate this, but, I eventually just lived with it since the ridges are easily removed.

Mike

Run a board though at an angle and I will bet that the ridges will now be at an angle. It is the blades, sometime it is hard to see them but I am sure if you change the blades it will clear up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Run a board though at an angle and I will bet that the ridges will now be at an angle. It is the blades, sometime it is hard to see them but I am sure if you change the blades it will clear up.
    Agree, souds like chipped blades. Caused by soe time running something through that by some reason was to hard for the blade. If it is, it is appearig at the very same spots of the planer, not the board, every time. If you run the board through a second time, placed a little to the side, so the ridges do not come where the chip outs are, the second run should plane the ridges.

--- Mats ---