Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Color Fill

Jared,

When we set-up the systems for Rawlings at most of the major league ball parks to engrave the bats we would use turtle wax to coat the bat at the engraving area and then laser, then wipe in the paint fill. I can not give you any details on the paint they used because they kept it secret. It was just in a Tupperware bowl and they took a rag and wiped in into the engraving let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wiped it off. They would do about 100 bats during a normal nine inning game and they had three different colors that they used gold, silver, and black. I believe that the paint was a water based paint that dried fast but when I asked what it was they would not tell me.
    the turtle wax helps with keeping the paint off of the UN engraved areas and cleans off very easily.

Wish I could get you more info on the paint but I know it can't be anything special.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

No as we put players/team names/signatures on each bat individually. We would also change model numbers etc. So we are constantly changing what we're engraving.
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie View Post
    Jared,

When we set-up the systems for Rawlings at most of the major league ball parks to engrave the bats we would use turtle wax to coat the bat at the engraving area and then laser, then wipe in the paint fill. I can not give you any details on the paint they used because they kept it secret. It was just in a Tupperware bowl and they took a rag and wiped in into the engraving let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wiped it off. They would do about 100 bats during a normal nine inning game and they had three different colors that they used gold, silver, and black. I believe that the paint was a water based paint that dried fast but when I asked what it was they would not tell me.
    the turtle wax helps with keeping the paint off of the UN engraved areas and cleans off very easily.

Wish I could get you more info on the paint but I know it can't be anything special.
    I'll go pick up some turtle wax. How did you apply it? With a rag or just a finger?

What did you do on the bats that were unfinished (or just plain wood)?

20 minutes is even too long. Witht the white paint we use, its apply, wait about a minute (doing a few others while waiting) then wipe off, but them in a bag then box them up.
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

They used there bats that were all finished already. I do not think that the 20 minutes was necessary however anyone who ordered the bat could not pick it up until the ninth inning so the timing may have been different. I recall it was pretty quick they would run three at a time and fill them then run three more and fill them then they would clean them and box them. We just used the pad applicator that came in the turtle wax can. It was the paste wax not the spray type.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Greenberg View Post
    Masking etc is fine for a run of 36, but when you do 6000-8000 a year, something simple and quick is the only way to go. And waiting 5-6 hours would just back up everything in the production.
    I'm all for finding faster/more efficient ways of earning a buck. I'll try any method that reaches that goal as long is it doesn't reduce quality.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC