Thread: Seems like a small bargain

Seems like a small bargain

I'm new to turning and am up to bowl #10 with a PSI chuck. I was turning a larger end grain piece two weeks ago and figured I had hit the wall. The lathe is an old 14/11 Delta (1"x8 spindle) but it seemed to me the chuck was the limiting factor. I got an email feed from Tekna on some SN2 factory refurbs for a reasonable price and was wondering if others here had any experience with their refurb products? My future plans include a larger (PM90) machine so I'm looking to the future as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I like my SN2 chuck, I like my Oneway talon better, seems it will holds a little better. Looks like you can get it for $100 versus Amazon at $165. Sounds like a good deal at 40% off. Looks like it's warranted for 1 year also.

This might be a bargain also:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...PI-lathe-stuff
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 08-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have not bought a refurbished but I do have four Nova chucks. I really don’t think Nova would sell anything (even refurbished) that was not up to speed.

I purchased a Nova on ebay that was never used (seller stated he could not understand how it worked ... he did have the “blank” or unthreaded insert). So that said, there could be any number of reasons items are returned.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Looks like a good deal, but don't forget you have to buy the threaded adaptor too which adds another $20. Sometimes places sell them with the adaptors included.

Thanks to all for posting. I'm going ahead with this purchase as it will definitely improve my current setup. One thing I did notice was there is no spindle adapter for a 1-1/2" 8 TPI machine. My Delta is 1". When I eventually move and (hopefully) get some more space I was going to start looking for a PM90 to refurb but it has a 1-1/2 spindle. I guess I can find (or have fabricated) a 1-1/2" to 1" adapter? I'll poke around over at OWWM to see what I can find out.

When I went to check out with the chuck and the 1" adapter, they doubled the shipping cost from $7.99 to over $15 bucks, all for a $20 part. I deleted the adapter and ordered it through Woodcraft with some other stuff and their $10 off offer. Net was I got it for $20 delivered plus some other goodies I needed. Seems like they could have just put the adapter in the box with the chuck and shipped it? Oh well.
    Last edited by Rich Purdum; 08-13-2011 at 1:26 PM. Reason: Shipping cost comment