Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood walls

Plywood walls

Hi all,

Going to be setting up a shop in my basement (not the ideal but better than nothing) and I am thinking of plywood walls instead of drywall. I figure this would serve a couple purposes - more durable than drywall and give me the ability to screw things anywhere instead of only on studs. Of course studs would be used for heavier things like cleats for shop cabinets and such but for other things plywood would be good. My question is - is 1/2" plywood sufficient or do I need 3/4"? Of course I would prefer 1/2" for the cost but if I need 3/4" that's what I will do. Just looking for opinions and experiences.

Thanks
    Stan
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Blog Entries
    I have 1/2" plywood in my shop and it works fine.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Even 3/8" isn't bad.

John

My shop is 1/2" plywood sanded on one side (I forget what grade that is). I think it is great, like you said drive a nail where you need to hang something. I painted mine white in the shop, but the other section of my barn is for storage and it is plywood also but I did not paint it.

I used T1-11 plywood on the inside walls of my shop.

I have 7/16 OSB. Cheaper and it works fine, BUT it is a bit harder to paint with a roller than plywood would be.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Even 3/8" isn't bad.
    Yep. I have whichever was cheaper - regular sanded ply or lauan - I think it's the lauan - One fast coat of BLO-turps-varnish mix, and it looks great.......except for all the screw holes from where stuff was before I moved it, then moved it, then.....
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I used 1/2 plywood in mine covered with 1/2 drywall.

Good idea

1/2" would be plenty even for cabinets. If you are at all worried about the resale value of your home, put up the 1/2" ply and drywall overtop of that. A museum that I have done work for has walls constructed like this and installations are a breeze because anywhere holds anything and they still have the tidy look of drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Dopp View Post
    I used T1-11 plywood on the inside walls of my shop.
    I think this is a nice solution - it looks better than plain smooth plywood - painted or not.

My shop is really small >100sq ft but I have drywall on my walls. If I did it again id use ply. The drywall is dented in several spots and is starting to look crappy. I chose drywall because at the time I was putting in an oak floor and wanted the space to look nice but drywall would have served me better in the end. As others have said, im sure 1/2 in is more than enough

PJS

I put 1/2" plywood on the walls and 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling. I wish I had put plywood on the ceiling too. It's too easy to ding it when swing/moving long pieces of wood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Might want to check with the local building code enforcement officials (building inspector) before you go too far. There may be rules regarding fire protection for basements that may be in place. Drywall over plywood would be my choice for a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Might want to check with the local building code enforcement officials (building inspector) before you go too far. There may be rules regarding fire protection for basements that may be in place. Drywall over plywood would be my choice for a basement.
    I place 3/4" plywood only because my building inspector requested it for fire protection reason.
    Ed.

I have been looking into this in my attached garage, and my local building inspectors say no way at all in an attached structure. They simply will not approve it for fire protection reasons. Check with your local building code enforcement office before you spend a penny.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...