Thread: Big Ash Gloat.

Big Ash Gloat.

ashlogs.jpgashlogs2.jpgWhat is a big ash gloat it is 11 pieces of a big Ash tree. The biggest is about 15 inches in diameter and the smaller ones are about 12. I even got a nice crotch piece.

So here is the story (some of it is even true) I loaded up my tractor and trailer yesterday and went over the hill to the valley know as the Utah Valley. This is the home of some famous turners like Dale Nish and Mike Mahoney. I was there to help a buddy start landscaping his yard. His neighbor was cleaning up the branches for this big tree. As I talked to him he had just cut the trunk into these 2 foot pieces, so the checking was minimal. I was able to quickly talk him out the trunk, with great relief he wouldn't have to move it. As I mentioned I had my tractor so two quick trips and the wood was on my trailer without much effort on my part.

When I was at the Wood turning symposium last month Dale Nish was joking that Mike Mahoney had already found and made plans for all the good trees in Utah Valley. Well not this one I was able to sneak it out. Just kidding guys.

I painted the ends with sealer, now for some big bowl prepping and roughing practice. I may even buy a new chainsaw now I have something to cut. Off to read the chainsaw threads.
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian Parish; 07-07-2011 at 4:07 PM.
    I create videos on my channel TurningRound on youtube.

enjoy, that is quite an accomplishment to haul some ash from the valley

SCOOORE!!!! Nice haul. I am not sure I would be able to take on a 15in log. I guess like you said..new Chainsaw in your future. I just pulled in some Oak burl and am thinking it is going to hurt my little 14"er.

Congrats on all the wood Ian! Sure has some good color! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats Ian. Looks like some mighty fine ash.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.