Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new lathe

Cool My new lathe

I found an ad on craigslist Friday morning for a Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 HP, along with some Sorby tools and a Nova Midi chuck. Ok there is no way a midi chuck is going to fit this lathe as it's a fixed 1x8 thread chuck. It actually turned out to be a Nova Chuck with a 1 1/4x8 thread insert.

As to the lathe he claimed it had never been used, whatever that grease is called they put on it for shipping was still on it caked in dust (just dust, not one shaving was anywhere near it), and only 2 of the sorby tools had been sharpened (said he took a course at woodcraft and they got sharpened then). He had a full set of American Vermont tools that the steel is still in the original plastic covering. When he turned it on it was quiet and smooth. The drive center and live center tips were exactly dead on. I for some reason believe that this thing has never been used, just a strange feeling.

He got 1500 for what he was offering. He then threw in a nice gas smoker with deep frying pan and basket + a 4 foot section of link belt. May not be a super gloat but it is the lathe I've been saving for. I also know that a new one is 2100 with jets discount, but with the chuck (I've seen it used for 60) and near 500 dollars worth of Sorby tools was certainly worth the 1500 to me

The sorby tools are:
    1/2" bowl gouge
    1" oval skew
    3/8" & 1/4" spindle gouges
    3/4" roughing gouge
    1/4" parting tool
    1" square scraper

I can get an insert for my Woodcraft chuck, and Grizzly (so I'm told, will check on Tues, thanks again Bill), certainly an upgrade on my Benjamins Best tools, will hold on to a couple for experimenting with a grider and dremel to create some new shapes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]What does a pirate dawg say?

Rick,
    you did well I think. I have the 2 hp and love it. I don't know what you were turning on before but you found a great package with all the needed items to get a great start.Now you can produce and figure what your missing at the same time.
    Good turning,
    Greg

Nice score on your new to you lathe.......Its alot like my CT 128... You can also add a outboard set up on the lathe.....Happy turning

Daner

Saweet!!! I have one on the way and can't wait!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Rick - Congrats. Looks like a good deal. I have the 1 1/2 hp model and really like it.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rick, a HUGE congrats!! This lathe will do well for you, and you ended up with a nice selection of tools with it, too.

Congrats Rick. That is a great deal with some nice tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats Rick, I love my 1642, good score and happy turning

Rick,
    Any time you can save $1000.00 in one trip, I'd call that a super gloat. Enjoy the lathe and new tools.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Sweet gloat. Congrats on the new lathe Rick.

Congratulations on the new lathe, Rick! May it serve you well!

Great deal, Rick! You should have many happy hours of fun with all that equipment.

Marc Himes

Congrats Rick! Excellent gloat! You are going to love using this lathe! have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great find, Rick!!! Congratulations.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

congratulations, do not know how long you looked, but your patience paid off