Thread: need help in FT Worth

need help in FT Worth

I need some help with learning to use a plane. I have seen what these tools can do in the right hands, and mine are not those. I also understand that it is a skill that no one is born with. However, practicing mistakes over and over does not make one better.

I have even looked for a class, but cannot find one, so I am even willing to pay for some instruction.

Is there anyone in the Fort Worth area that can show me what I am doing wrong?

I'm slightly East of FW in Plano. If you are willing to make the trip it will not cost you a dime. Heck I'll even offer you a can of Coke I'll share what I know and learn whatever you bring to the table.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

My first question is if you have found any help in the "Sticky" Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section, in particular:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...th-Hand-Planes

If you have read that and are still having troubles, then maybe a discussion of what is happening when you are using a hand plane will be a good starting place.

I had some minimal training in a junior high school general shop. Many years later when I came back to butchering wood, it took a while to make a plane work. I finally got a blade sharp and that changed my world.

Hopefully you will find the same result with less work than it took me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would seek help in this order. 1-Get help from someone local or 2-buy a pre-tuned plane from LN, LV, or someone here, and or 3- get a good video on planes. Do all three and you will be planing like crazy. Do any one and you will be better off. Don't quit!

I will start with reading the sticky.

Zahid, I might just take you up on that offer after I do some more reading.