Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blade kerf with riving knife-- std vs thin ?

My Sawstop came with thin and regular riving knives. If they fit your saw, they could be a source also.

Is there a disadvantage / risk using a thin riving knife with a normal kerf blade?

If you rip a board far enough to clear the riving knife and stop the cut, then pinch the board to close the kerf behind the riving knife and the kerf does not bind on the back of the blade the knife is doing it's job. If the knife is too thin, theoretically the kerf could close behind it and the knife won't stop the close before the blade binds. Also dependent on the depth front to back of the knife and it's distance from the blade. Dave

I think that the greatest quality of the riving knife is that it prevents kickbacks when ripping against the fence, keeping the kerf open is secondary to me but even a slightly thinner riving knife (when compared to the kerf) is going to help with this too. If you have material that is really closing up and pinching the blade (heavy cuts of poplar come to mind) go to the bandsaw.

Have you tried a TK blade with your current knife? I just purchased a Polar Bear hybrid and according to the manual, the knife has a range of blade widths that can be used. All my TK blades (Forrest, Freud, Ridgid) work fine with my knife.

Would a picture of a Powermatic 2000 riving knife with a 6" scale included help? If so I can make it happen.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

Yes Charles, that might help me at least. I'm sure the spacing and size of the legs will make the difference on if it will work or not. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

A machine shop will charge you for an hours work just to grind one down. Better to go to a micro steel supplier and order the right thickness of steel and use your existing riving knife as a template.

Picture of Powermatic 2000 riving knife

Riving Knife.jpg Here is the picture made by scanning the knife so there should be no little or no distortion of the shape.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

Try Lee Styron of Sharkguard. He has riving knives at multiple thicknesses and reasonably priced. I don't know if he has one for Grizzly yet, but suspect he would be interested.