Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suggestions for finishing HF interior

That is really nice. I personally like the amber shade and grain enhancement that shellac offers, but if you wanted to keep the lighter color on the outside a water based finish is supposed to do that. I've never used water based finish except by brush on a flatwork piece, so I don't know how difficult it is to apply to a turning.

I agree that it is very nice the way it is and to see the inside is not a bad thing. I did paint the inside of one piece I did that I used 5 different layers of epoxy colored to create the finished HF. But when I was cleaning up the inside after every thing had set there was a couple of spots that I did not get a thick enough overlap of the epoxy where the voids were and if I would have kept turning I was afraid that I would lose the epoxy. So any way I took some flat black acrylic paint and a brush and painted the inside and now it is just dark inside and worked good for that. But you would have to try and seal off any of the void areas so as not to get any over run or dripping of paint on the outside surface, you may be able to do it after you finish the outside so the paint can be wiped off quickly to keep it from staining.

Sounds like lots of work and like we have all said, it is fine that way it is,

Great job and can't wait to see it finished,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown