Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Put a second coat of paint on the workbench base. Trimmed up the 4 layer mdf top & mounted it to the base. Built some drawers for the drill press cabinet/stand. Purchased and cut the angle iron for my customized HF shop cart Im building. Did the sketchup work for the cabinet that will go under my workbench.

Yep, that is 4 different projects Im working on at the same time. No wonder it feels like Im doing a lot but not seeing much progress....

Oh yeah, I also realized that my Delta 1HP dust collector just isnt doing it. Im looking for an upgrade. Im thinking the 2HP Penn State Industries unit. Any recommendations from crowd??

John, What's your budget? If I were to upgrade from my 2HP HF DC, I would go with at least a 2HP cyclone, probably more like an Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla, but that is way out of my reach for now...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have been working on a console for my sister-in-law for the past several months. Only get a precious few hours each week to work in it. Even harder in the winter since my shop is in the garage. Even with a small heater, it takes a while to heat up to the point where it is comfortable.

Wasn't satisfied with the doors I had made, so I made a new set.
    Came to the realization that my Craftsman router was, indeed, a piece of ...um...well, you know... so I went out and got a new router. The old one would not hold a depth setting. In the meantime, I put my backup router under the table so I could finish the doors.
    Sanded the console, then put the first coat of stain on it. She wants it jet black, so I had previously applied some black Transtint dye. Looks like I will put on one final coat of stain. I am happy with it so far.

Good weekend all around.

1) Wired a new set of lights above the workbench area on a new circuit - we now have 1000w of lighting power!!
    2) Wired a new dedicated 220v outlet for the lathe.
    3) Changed the oil in both my vehicles and my father-in-law's vehicle.
    4) Fixed the squeaky rear wheel on my Subaru - super easy car to work on.
    5) Helped my brother-in-law troubleshoot a rear window motor malfunction, power steering power loss, and seat heat malfunction.
    6) Signed up for spring classes and bough books (oops, how did that Jimmy Clewes wood turning video get in with the book order? Oh well.)
    7) Took my wife square dancing. I was totally guilted into going by my brother-in-law. But, in the end we all had fun and my wife was super stoked to go dancing, even if it was square dancing.
    8) Went to church Sunday morning for a great service.
    9) Went to a friends house to play cards with a few other couples - great time.
    10) Took the family down to Colorado Springs on Monday to visit Garden of the Gods and Whit's End (for those of you who are familiar with Adventures In Odyssey).
    11) Put a few coats of finish on a bowl that I recently completed.
    12) Even got a few hours of work in on Monday evening.

Nice to have the three day week end - although, taking a holiday is totally different when you work for yourself!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Some (okay, most) of you folks are a whole lot more disciplined than I am when it comes to getting things done!

1. Assembled drawers for a friend's built-in entertainment center. These are the second set of drawers, after several years of use he decided that taller sides and backs were in order. I'll be getting the old drawers and will repurpose them for something or other in my shop.
    2. Mobilated a "repurposed" cabinet (kitchen cabinet style) from a hospital for another friend to use as a general purpose garage workbench / tool storage. Got to hack away at the thing using a Sawzall. Any day using a Sawzall is a good day! "Bench" is now mobile, with two double locking swivel casters on one end, fixed casters on the other.
    3. Mobilated my Delta 14" BS.
    4. Discovered just how thin and runny Titebond II Extend is!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Bought that 1956 DeWalt MBF Radial Arm Saw (that I posted about).

Spent a fair bit of time just thinking ... how cool it's going to be working on that saw.

An equal amount of time learning about ... how to learn about ... that saw (Mister Sawdust, the Delphi group, OWWM, Wolfe Machinery).

Made an offer on a CraigsList ad -- three oak cabinets -- that would be PERFECT as tool stands.

Picked and milled boards for a dovetailed box with hand-cut hinges that ... I'm beginning to work on.

Found out that a phenomenal woodworker -- at it for probably almost 50yrs -- is having BIG financial troubles (nothing but hot dogs....).

Got a Wally World gift card for him.
    Went to Sams Club, and bought a boat-load of non-perishable food for him.
    Heading out in the a.m., to spend a few days with him (6.5hrs away), help him with some of his home improvement projects, and ... deliver the food.

Flipped through the latest issue of "WOOD."

Flipped through my newly-arrived copy of Sandor Nagyszalanczy's "Woodshop Dust Control"

Noticed that ... just flipping through that book ... does amazingly little to improve dust collection

Had an out-of-town woodworker stop by. Yakked about woodworking. Listened to him tell me of his new 3HP Oneida cyclone, and the bit fat mess of ductwork he's setting up. Got rather envious, and threw him out of the house

Good weekend !

007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg

Organized a couple of cabinets with plastic rubbermaid containers and labels (fasteners, HVLP Sprayer gear, Jig Parts, Cast Iron Cleaning Gear, etc...). Then I wrapped up my drill press table project...I borrowed several creekers ideas from a couple of threads seen here, planning on a future modification to put a small drawer underneath. The wife termed my progress as "my OCD relaxation...".
    Building a New Shop...