Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting but expensive

If the price were 50-75$ he would probably end up making far more money than where it's priced now. That's the great thing about software.. Ya got it, ya sell it, ya still got it!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I've been pondering getting this program (BoxitSuite)...but the price has just been keeping me away. From reading the thread I guess it used to be about $400?...it is running at $250 now...still pretty steap in my book...I'm just going to keep "toying" with the purchase for now...it DOES seem to be a good tool but not at the price for me. I agree...they would probably sell a lot more if the price were more reasonable...If it were about $100 I wouldn't have any problem with the purchase.

I just keep thinking of my photograv purchase. I was advised by a few members on SMC not to bother with it and I am beginning to agree....I had already placed the order when I ordered my laser and from what my vendor told me and what I read in a "couple" of places it would be a great tool...as of yet I really haven't been impressed with the results. It seems cumbersom with all the conversions you have to make and I am just not finding it worth the $400 price tag!....I have run a couple of tests using Photograv alongside an image I optimized myself using the dithering options in Corel/Epilog print driver and have found there is either very little difference OR I liked the one I did myself better. I am, of course, really a beginner at this but...perhaps that is why many here at SMC have said they now use their PG CD as a coaster.

Just don't want to have Buyer's Remorse on this one too!...Have a wonderful day all.
    Have a Blessed Day!
    William
    Mona Lazer
    Epilog Helix 75W Windows 7 X64, Photoshop CS5, Corel Draw X6, Photograv 3.0, etc...

Blog Entries
    The "marketing manager" for that company tried to get a bit of free advertising here about a month ago, most likely directed here from all of the hits they were getting from this thread (and the link). Considering the post was dumped for TOS violations and the fact that I have not seen her (them) come back to pay for advertising, it's one more reason I have to not support them back... it's expensive, there are several free alternatives out there, and some would consider it a bit of a niche market (though possibly plenty of money to be made in that market, your mileage may vary).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The thing to try to do is charge a slight fee for each use you can pay for a program rather quickly that way.

Some use PG and like it (I do) others don't, Some like PS others PP and even other GIMP.

I use PG for quick get me close things, basically run at standard setting for Cherry wood on most everything.
    Part of the issue is many want a quick overall fix that doesn't cost. Even the names lead you to believe that
    "One Touch" I don't think it's reasonable for such a fix do work in all circumstances. It's best to figure out the mech.
    than just hit a button and wonder why it didn't work.

There are issues with halftones and how they are created that affect the quility of the image. Some day I'll look up my
    old buddy who excelled in halftones and color seperations and have him spend a weekend here and see what his
    knowledge can bring to the laser!

This box program is interesting, but gimicky, may sell for a while but interest may not last.

If you decide to get it consider a $10 up charge then after 25 jobs it's paid for.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I looked on their website and they show a number of programs, The vector art might be interesting if you could see what on the CD's but they show nothing that i could find except the cover of the volumes and one small sample page. For the kind of money they want, I want to know what I'm getting. Thats one thing that impressed me with Buzz, it's very clear what your getting. I would be very leary of sending my money to them for any of it, but do agree that if they lowered the price they would make more on volume. 100 people at $75 is a lot more than 1 or 2 at $250. Some people never seem learn that.
    ULS 30 Watt M series, Coreldraw X4, Photograv 3.0

I don't mean this sarcastically, its a serious question-- who buys the stuff you make with software such as the Laser Jump Start? I have never found a market for any of the generic "craft" pieces. So what do you have to do to move this stuff? I'm wondering, because it would be soo great to skip the design phase, just load, burn, n' sell! Hum... sort of like the sales pitch you might get when you go to a laser mfg website.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    I don't mean this sarcastically, its a serious question-- who buys the stuff you make with software such as the Laser Jump Start? I have never found a market for any of the generic "craft" pieces. So what do you have to do to move this stuff? I'm wondering, because it would be soo great to skip the design phase, just load, burn, n' sell! Hum... sort of like the sales pitch you might get when you go to a laser mfg website.

Dave
    Things like this may work for a job or two. A while back I did some signage that it would have been perfect for, cut from acrylic and Fusion sprayed.
    I could see using this to make odd sized bases and maybe some things to accessorize a project.

You have to think about how YOU can sell it and not how THEY say you can sell it.

What I did worked fine, but this would have made the signage a bit more interesting. As for sell just one offs or letters, it would be difficult with the typical
    clients I sell to. The problem here is the TIME it takes to assemble.

I have a bunch of quirky stuff just for those unusual projects. Would I make enough to justify the software costs here? Maybe not. But part of my reputation is to come
    up with "out of the box" methods. That does bring in more work so yes sometimes I can justify these things.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

The program does look impressive for what it does. I have the same question as to how one makes money with it? I never mind paying good money for good software as I have found I have always gotten good payback for paying a fair price for good quality. I have used cheaper programs with nothing but problems that slows down my productivity at the expense of a few upfront dollars for quality.

I am intrigued with what you can do with this package and how it looks to work, but I have been following this thread and trying to find a way to use it for my type of work. Now if it could automatically tab and slot model ribs and formers, then we can talk!!

I am certainly not putting down the package and in fact am quite impressed with what it look like it can do. Like Dave.... IDEAS???

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W
    Rhino 4.0 / Coreldraw X4 / Stone Chisel 1.0!

"Does the noise in my head bother you?"