Thread: replacement fence?

replacement fence?

Finally moved into our new home we built a couple of months ago.My tools were in storage for at least 2 years, with some at a friends shop 40 miles away.Some how,while trailering them to their new home, my tablesaw fence jumped off the trailer. It was a Jet xacta fence (biesemeyer clone). Looking online, all I see is fences for sale that includes all the tube rails ,everything, not just the fence....at a pretty significant cost. So I thought I'd just build me one. Bought the metal and borrowed another friends fence to copy it. Problem is making the camlock handle, as its 3/4" thick metal and a fairly intricate piece....along with getting the clear curser,plastic screws for the adjustment glides,etc. Also, christmas is getting super close and would like to get some projects completed, so now i'm thinking of just buying one again.

My question is, where would be the best place to buy one, and would you go back with the Xacta or biesemeyer or ? If i could just get the camlock handle and assorted parts that would definetely be cheaper, but having a hard time sourcing these...thanks for any input!
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Grizzly parts are usually pretty cheap. The Shop Fox Classic is a great clone.
    http://cdn5.grizzly.com/partslists/g8826_pl.pdf

A friend of mine got the Shop Fox replacement and is pretty happy. It's not that expensive. But then, I don't know what your definition of "expensive" is...... Check it out. It just takes a couple ouse clicks.

I made this Biesemeyer style fence for my saw. A generous guy on the owwm forum sent me measured drawings of the fence that I used as a guide. If you want, PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf copy. I purchased the Bies cursor from the local Dewalt Porter Cable service center for less than $10 if I remember correctly. If you go to Dewalt ServiceNet, you can look up the part numbers for Bies fences and I bet you can find the cam lever there. If you have a drill press, you can make your own without much trouble. The drawings will show you the location of the offset hole. I used 1/4" set screws and thin nuts to lock the parallel adjustment. You can get that hardware from a hardware store. The plastic end on the handle was purchased from McMaster Carr. I purchased the plastic glide material under the fence from there too. I have some leftover glide material I can send you if you make the fence.

Kurt

I have built several Bies. clones over the years. I use the cam from the old Delta Jet Lock fence. Lacking a fence to rob, I use an piece of 1 1/4" round rod and saw off a piece. The pivot hole is drilled off center. Drill and tap for a handle. Handle is a 3/8" bolt with head cut off, threaded to accept a knob, generally with a 3/8-16 thread. Reid Industries sells round knobs with threaded inserts.

Check here http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail/36-T30 and here http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail/78-921 for parts and diagrams. Hope that helps.

Kurt

I've also made a few of these fences and agree with the other guys, none of it is difficult to make. Mine was the first I built some 10 years ago. I used 3/8" fine thread bolts for the alignment adjusters, the 1-1/4" rod for the eccentric, as Bruce mentioned and used slices of UHDPE (aka kitchen cutting board) for all the pads. Once you have the material, it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to make the fence.

Mike Harrison

thanks ! You have inspired me to build it. I started cutting parts last night. Just need to drill and tap,then complete the welds this morning. If you could send me the pdf file Kurt, that would be great! My email is randy@airtechtyler.com

thanks again everyone!
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Great post, thanks for the links and pics.

John