Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creating work for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Fiore View Post
    I don't know much about growing anything, but why not just use multiple lights in the room, on timers? Are the lights the costly part?
    From the end user's standpoint, cost isn't a real factor. It's reducing electrical usage and limited real estate... and the lights are expensive.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

You still amaze me, I think I must be from the stupid planet.... great work and fab design.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Doug,

With such low speed needed, you could use solar panels for each unit as hydroponic "tomato" lighting is typically 1000W @ 100 lm/W. That should give new meaning to "Think Green!". lol

Also, don't forget to ask for samples of the "tomatoes" that have been used on your turntable.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

I am impressed!! That is some great imagengineering!! Makes me think I need to get that CNC Mill or Router purchased!!

Curious, for gear design do you "fake" it our use a program?

Cheers!

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W
    Rhino 4.0 / Coreldraw X4 / Stone Chisel 1.0!

"Does the noise in my head bother you?"

If cost is not an issue and you want ultra low power usage. I would look at a Dynamixel actuator. These are continous rotation servos with a brain. They use very little power and you can get all kinds of info from them. Position, Load, Temp, Speed. You can control them with a micro controler with no need for a stepper controller.

They have several sizes The low end ones I believe can be purchased for around $40. The large I think go for $300+

I use them for some magazine articles I wrote a while back. Here are some links from one of my web sites.

kronosrobotics.com
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-11-2010 at 8:42 AM. Reason: removed links

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    If cost is not an issue and you want ultra low power usage. I would look at a Dynamixel actuator. These are continous rotation servos with a brain. They use very little power and you can get all kinds of info from them. Position, Load, Temp, Speed. You can control them with a micro controler with no need for a stepper controller.

They have several sizes The low end ones I believe can be purchased for around $40. The large I think go for $300+

I use them for some magazine articles I wrote a while back. Here are some links from one of my web sites.

kronosrobotics.com
    I'll check them out. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Jacobs View Post
    I am impressed!! That is some great imagengineering!! Makes me think I need to get that CNC Mill or Router purchased!!

Curious, for gear design do you "fake" it our use a program?

Cheers!

Darryl
    Thanks. For laser cut spur gears, I usually design with "the real thing", compensating for the laser's kerf times 2. Then create I a single smoothed out bezier curve tooth along the centerline of the overlap (the kerf offsets outwards and there is overlap where the gears mesh in the drawing). Then I replicate the single tooth around the axis. This makes for a far smoother path that still maintains contact close to that of a real spur gear. I hope that made sense.

That makes good sense. Thanks. I will have to try it that way. I usually fake the adjustment to get the thust face angles close.

Cheers!

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Jacobs View Post
    That makes good sense. Thanks. I will have to try it that way. I usually fake the adjustment to get the thust face angles close.

Cheers!

Darryl
    Attached is a pic of what I do for teeth. No corners makes for smoother cutting and more distributed stress. Less control points makes the gears more manageable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Makes good sense!! I printed a business card sample with the gears as shown elsewhere here and it took a long time to cut because of the exactness of the details in the gear design.

I will convert it to you design and report back.

Cheers!

Darryl
    Darryl Jacobs

Inter-Action Enterprises
    Epilog Helix - 45W