Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 8" variable speed grinder opinions

Delta 8" variable speed grinder opinions

1) I was looking at the variable speed 8" delta as opposed to the single slow speed grinder Delta makes. Is any one using the variable speed and what do you think of it.
    2) Also I was wondering which after market grinder wheel would give me the best edge and value for fine grinding. I have been looking at Craft Supplies. Are the expensive wheels worth it? Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the grinder but do like my Norton 3X wheels.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

3. Ron,

I have the same unit, only mine has the Steel City label, but believe me, they are identical except the label. I like mine, and I did replace the wheels with the Norton 3X, one 80 grit, and one 120 grit.

I keep it pretty much on the low rpm [1725] and if I wanted to use it to sharpen something like a mower blade, I could turn it up, but I have other grinders for that, and only use it for my turning tools.

It is a pretty good grinder, so far, and I have had it over 2 years.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have that grander and not had any problems with it. I do not use it daily. I have the wheels that come on it still installed but would like to upgrade so I would like to see what people recommend.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll look closer at the 3x wheels.

I have the SG; it cuts fast, runs cool and holds up well.

I also had the Norton 3X "I", didn't like it and returned it. It was too soft for HSS turning tools; it didn't hold up. The wheel needed constant dressing.

The Norton 3 "K" is a good value, performs almost as well as the the Norton SG, which sells for 3 folds.

The SG will not fit the Oneway wheel balancer. They are supposed to be balanced out of the box, CSUSA said further balancing won't help. The balance on my Norton 3X is not bad, but balancing makes an improvement.

It has been reported that the 3X may not have consistant quality control on balancing. If getting exchange is not too much trouble for you, it is worth a trial.
    Gordon

I have had the Delta for about 3 years without any problems and have never replaced the wheels. I normally run it on the slowest setting.

Grinder & wheels

I have four grinders and one is the Delta variable speed. I always leave it on the lowest setting and have not had any problems.

I use the 3X wheels and have not had any problems with them except I don't like using the plastic bushings supplied with the wheels. I replace them with 1" od X 5/8" id X 1" long headless drill bushings (available from McMaster-Carr for $9.60 ea.).

Use 3/4" diameter paper sticky dots to shim between the inside edges of the cup washers and the sides of the wheels to eliminate side to side wobble.

As with any wheel, you need to make the outer surface of the wheels absolutely concentric to the axle, as the wheels are mounted. To do this, use a wheel truing device- not just a wheel dresser.

If you do these few things, a wheel balancing system is not necessary and your grinder will run well without vibration or tool bounce.

Don Geiger

Ron, I have the Delta VS 8" grinder and love it I use it with the Wolverine jig ( these pushy Creekers finally convinced me I needed a jig). I use the Veri-Grind and Veri-Grind 2.
    Yes the Norton wheels are worth the extra money. Case in point...I have five of my Dad's old Norton wheels that are at least 45 years old. They are 6", a little less now,I use them on my old 6" grinder and are still going strong. I use them a good bit and they produce good sharp tools.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Replacement wheels at a reasonable price

I can't comment on the Delta grinder, but there was mention of replacing the wheels.
    If you are interested in replacing or upgrading the wheels on a grinder, check out sharpeningsupplies.com. I purchased Norton wheels from them about six months ago and I am quite pleased with the price and fast delivery.

I have this Delta variable speed grinder and have added the Wolverine-A must in my opinion. I also have the Norton 3 x wheels. I fouund that they run great after balancing with the Oneway system. I am very happy with all the above.
    Michael

Well as I was shopping for another 8" grinder I realized my 23-725 Delta is no longer available. It seems it was replaced by the variable speed. (GR-450) Well looking at the specs. the variable speed didn't seem to have the heft (backside) the older model had. 5amps vs 10 amps. There was a definite weight difference as well. Called a long time tool dealer I have bought a lot of tools from. Long story short he had one that had been sitting on the shelf for some time. Poof, it was in my shop. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post

Use 3/4" diameter paper sticky dots to shim between the inside edges of the cup washers and the sides of the wheels to eliminate side to side wobble.

Don Geiger
    What kind of paper sticky dots are you talking about? There are flat paper dots that might be used for price tags for yard sale items, then there are foam ones about 1/8" thick or so (but compressible) that might be used in other craft projects.

And are all of you who are happy with your "Delta Variable Speed Grinder" talking about the ShopMaster GR450 or a different model?

I finally ordered the Woodcraft slow speed grinder after struggling with my GR450 for way too long. The WC slow speed with Norton 3X & drill bushings (no sticky dots yet or rounding of the wheels...haven't had time yet) already shows a LOT more promise than the GR450 ever did...but I still haven't given up hope on the Delta entirely. Yet. I'm just afraid that the GR450's lack of a decent shoulder for the inside washer on the arbor might make mine impossible to tune.

-cm

80 and 120 are a real solid bet. I started out with just an 80 and found the grooves it left were causing extra sanding. I added the 120 and Shazaam!!! Smooth cuts with no ridges.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Woodcraft.com grinder

that comes with decent wheels at $110 did the job for me. Item #150780. Wheels lasted a good while until I replaced them with Norton 3X. I then added the Oneway balancing system and the grinder is dead smooth. They have free shipping on one item now too. Code 22233
    Jerry Hall