Thread: Book recommendations for beginners

Book recommendations for beginners

Hi,

I'm just starting out woodcarving, and I'm interested in buying a few books on the subject. Do you have any recommendations?

I have one book that I find very good, and am currently starting out with the projects in it:
    Relief Carving in Wood - A Practical Introduction by Chris Pye.

I'm interested in other books that I'll start with further on. I've been browsing the web for a bit, but some books look too advanced, and I would appreciate some help.

I found the following book at Google Books:
    Wood Carving: Projects and Techniques by Chris Pye:
    http://books.google.se/books?id=IDOw...page&q&f=false

I love the simpler carvings in that book, but it also has some quite advanced stuff in it. Does anyone have this book?

Other recommendations?

Thanks
    Staffan

I have a copy of The Book of Wood Carving by Charles Marshall Sayers.

Things I like about it:

The examples are shown in various stages.

He uses only four (or so) tools.

I bought it for $1.00 plus shipping.

So far, I haven't begun to carve.

Bill

Smile

Staffan, try your local lending library for books.

Hi Staphan,
    I'm taking a woodcarving class at Palomar College this semester and, although there is no text for this course, I found a book ... How to Carve Wood .... by Richard Butz (Taunton Press ISBN 978-0-918804-20-4)) that I find extremely helpful. Great description of all the tools, ideal workspace, sharpening, design, chip carving, relief carving, wildlife carving, lettering .... and much more. Great illustrations and easy to read. Tremendous amount of detailed "how to" with pictures and projects for each topic.
    I found it at Borders for $20.
    good luck,
    Don

Hi Staffan. I'm sure that by now you have at least a couple of books on carving. My favorite is: Essential Woodcarving Techniques by Dick Onians. I have many books on the subject, but this is my favorite. Happy carving!

Carving Book

Staffan,

If you want to learn caricature carving, then I recommend Caricature Heads by Marv Kaisersatt. There is no better book for learning caricature carving, and not a bad place to start for any type of carving.

Good Luck,
    Dan

Blog Entries

Period Furniture Carving

Here's a new book on carving fundamental period furniture elements. http://tonykubalak.com/index.php?BOOKPROMO:

Highly recommended.