Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Triton 2 1/4 HP Router-Thoughts?

I just bought the smaller (2.25hp) Triton today for use in a table. I'm using the Grizzly G0528 router table with a sliding table, and I got tired of wrestling with height adjustments on a Bosch 1617 beneath the table. It took me just a few minutes to swap the two routers. The G0528 uses clamps to hold the router in place, and the Triton's base is much thicker than the Bosch's, so the clamps work great. The majority of time I spent on switching the routers was in moving the clamps because the Triton's base has a larger diameter than the Bosch's base.

Removing the spring was a piece of cake. I removed one screw and loosened the spring cap (keeping a tight hold on it). The spring popped right out. The cast iron table on the G0528 is pretty thick, but I could easily change bits from above the table with no problem using the wrench included with the Triton. The autolock works as expected, but it's a little bit of a hassle to have to turn the power switch off before the autolock will engage (the G0528 has its own power switch).

Height adjustment is simple and easy. In normal mode, I used the microadjuster beneath the table and it worked great. I'll probably eventually drill a hole in the table and use the included extension rod to change height from above the table. I can put it into "free plunge" mode to raise and lock for changing bits.

I only tested it out with cope and stick bits that I'm using to mill some window sashes for our transom windows. It certainly had no problem with those bits, but they aren't extremely large.

Overall, I'm very happy with the router.
    Last edited by Jeff Mackay; 10-11-2010 at 1:00 AM.

Talking

After heading to Amish country, and stopping at Keim Lumber and Hartville yesterday, I came home and ordered the Triton 2 1/4 Router tonight online. Neither store carries the Triton, and I liked what I heard on here with all of the replies-Thanks for the help. I was liking the Bosch fixed and plunge kit, but not enough to change my mind from the Triton. Router should be here next week, be happy to let everyone know my impressions.
    Regards,
    Kevin