Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate turning !

Why I hate turning !

You spend all the time cutting a bowl blank, sharpening your tools, all the time burning rings near the lip, get a catch and smash a finger while hollowing, find band aids, finish hollowing to 1/8 walls and ready for sanding, discover new crack from the undercut lip extending about 3 inches, your CA is no longer usable and would not work any way as there is not enough wood left to turn away the glue stain
    Come in the house and open a cold one. Think I will go back out and wax the TS and jointer, maybe try out my new planner.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

You have a lathe, a planer, a table saw, a jointer, and a house that has beer in it. Can things really be that bad? Oh yeah, sorry about your finger!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    You have a lathe, a planer, a table saw, a jointer, and a house that has beer in it. Can things really be that bad? Oh yeah, sorry about your finger!
    Very good point!!!

And, he has us to sympathize with him .... whereas the rest of the world will just look at him funny when he complains about this!

Now that you put it that way Think I will just put a steak on the grill and call it a day
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

And upside is you did get some shop time....
    Things will be better next time.

thats it ... I'm quitting

less than a week in and thats it for me

Im sure the omens were apparrent WAY before you went out to turn....
    Check your horoscope, or get a psychic reading..... if it doesn't seem promising, go straight for the beer and stay away from power tools.
    Dude, you know that some days you get the bear..... and some days... well you dont.
    Every one of us has been there on some project. I use rule #62:
    Dont take yourself too seriously!
    my .02
    mj

David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    You spend all the time cutting a bowl blank, sharpening your tools, all the time burning rings near the lip, get a catch and smash a finger while hollowing, find band aids, finish hollowing to 1/8 walls and ready for sanding, discover new crack from the undercut lip extending about 3 inches, your CA is no longer usable and would not work any way as there is not enough wood left to turn away the glue stain...
    Sounds like one of my better days in the shop... Congrats!

Life is, indeed, good....eh Robert?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Unless you loose an apendage, , a bad day in the shop is better than a good day without one!!

How much better does it get?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert McGowen

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Now that you put it that way Think I will just put a steak on the grill and call it a day

Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Looks like he's in it for the long haul, boys & girls.....
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

"Fer cryin' out loud, he's even got STEAK!"

Thanx. Biting my tongue was starting to hurt...
    David DeCristoforo