Thread: technique for Detail gouge grind

technique for Detail gouge grind

I have a Crown 1/2" PM detail gouge and I'm looking for a technique to grind it.
    I would like to use the Wolverine but, am open to suggestions.
    Any advice?
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks Pete

Larry,

First off, let me say thanks for the tips and ideas that have been used from your website.

I use a Doug Thompson 7/16 detail gouge, and the flute is shallower than the flute in the opening of the Drozda youtube. I sharpen mine with the varigrind fixture in the wolverine. I let the gouge stick out about 1/4 inch farther than for bowl gouges. This produces a more acute angle on the gouge, a guess at the angle would be around 40 degrees or a bit more acute at the tip, and as anything with the varigrind, more acute yet on the wings. When resharpening, a touch of a sharpie to the bevel and hand turning the grinder helps fine tune the stickout of the gouge from the varigrind. I also put a double bevel on the gouge by increasing the stickout another 1/4 inch after getting the edge sharp and reducing the primary bevel to about 1/8 to 3/16 inch. I find that I like the more acute angle on the wings, as it lets the gouge get into tighter spots, and make skew like cuts, even sometimes against the grain.

I do sharpen my other spindle gouges on the platform with a constant bevel angle.

Later,
    Dale M

I just use the vari-grind for my 1/2" detail gouge, adjusting the nose angle to match what it came with (use the wingnut for the strut that sits in the v-base), and adjusting the wing angle grind likewise to match (using the cam-lock that moves the v-base to and fro from the wheel). Pretty simple. I use the same stick-out measurement (1 3/4" for me) from gouge nose to jig for all my gouges.

I do manually grind away the heel of the bevel to get it out of the way from rubbing (similar to what Ellsworth does). Sort of takes the place of a secondary bevel.

On dial-up. Haven't watched the you-tube.

Thanks again.

I have been using a 40 degree bevel with a fingernail grind on my standard 1/2 spindle gouge. when I picked up the "Detail gouge" I discovered that it had the same flute and diameter as my spindle gouge, just longer Iron and 3" longer handle. the grind was much more acute than I was using.
    I added a secondary bevel to get the heal out of the way and I am playing with the original bevel. It is a bit squirrelly, but it is kind of fun to play with. going back and forth to the 40 degree gouge, I find that the 40 degree is controlled and familiar. I am using the Hosaluk Grind on my spindle gouge. Did not know that until I happened on a page describing it. I may just put the detail gouge to 40 degrees and remove most of the heal to allow it access into small places. We'll see.