Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interior Door Joints - Through Tenons & 5" Mortices ??

You could take a look around for a used powermatic chain mortiser, a floor model with a foot pedal. I see them on exfactory regularly. It might serve you better than one of those makitas made for timber framing. It seems you could also do this with a good drill press coming from both sides. I'm not sure I understand the need for a 5" wedged through tenon on a passage door? Perhaps a 3 1/2" deep tenon with draw bored pegs might give sufficient strength without the struggle to make such deep through tenons.

Damon,

I do think that a through-wedged mortise and tenon joint is the gold standard for doors, although I agree with Peter that there not as commonly done with interior (passage) doors as with heavier exterior doors. But you did say that you were thinking of making heavy doors, so what the hey? Be prepared for more work, though, because you have to flare out the mortises to the outside to accommodate the wedges, and without a lot of jigging that will probably be hand done.

I'd prepare your stock precisely, mark the joints out well, and then come in from both sides.

23 doors... some cabin .