Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WoodRiver Planes.... They're baaaaack....

If we link to the previous threads pro and con we can really get ourselves all worked up....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared McMahon View Post
    Wow, I just realized, for a short time I actually did live in a cheesy wannabe McMansion (townhome) subdivision named Wood River.
    I just blew coffee all over the monitor
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Love this thread.
    -Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jared McMahon View Post
    Wow, I just realized, for a short time I actually did live in a cheesy wannabe McMansion (townhome) subdivision named Wood River.
    Are you kidding? I still do. Its kind of plane. If it were in Wisconsin it would be really cheesey. I have a little block house at #9. The guy next to me has a whopper though. One the other side of him are some folks who are really involved but they are joiners. The guy next to them can do nearly anything. Jack something.

Although all of the houses are plane some have fences. Some of the house are not square but they are all affordably priced. A lady a couple of blocks over, Phyllis, has a problem sliding around. Of course there are the poeple in the 600 block that have castles. On the weekends we have yard sales where some people come in to buy whatever we have because they think it is rare. Its not really to boring here in Wood River.

Respectfully,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rutten View Post
    Are you kidding? I still do. Its kind of plane. If it were in Wisconsin it would be really cheesey. I have a little block house at #9. The guy next to me has a whopper though. One the other side of him are some folks who are really involved but they are joiners. The guy next to them can do nearly anything. Jack something.

Although all of the houses are plane some have fences. Some of the house are not square but they are all affordably priced. A lady a couple of blocks over, Phyllis, has a problem sliding around. Of course there are the poeple in the 600 block that have castles. On the weekends we have yard sales where some people come in to buy whatever we have because they think it is rare. Its not really to boring here in Wood River.

Respectfully,
    Rick
    I liked David's post too, but I have to vote for Rick in this one... he has a good name, and his usage of puns is brilliant!

And as far as the "your stupid, I'm stupid we're all stupid comment" I resemble the "I'm stupid part"

While I appreciate the self-enforced moderation and rapid degeneration into humor I'd like everyone to keep in mind that woodworking is a growing hobby. As such there are people here who have not had the vast experience necessary to immediately bring out the flamethrowers at the mention of Brand/method of work/place of manufacture.

There are many who have yet to weigh in on even such mundane topics such as tails/pins/(or as I dobutt joint and draw dovetails with a fine point pencil) first method much less the rarified beatification of Ron Hock vs. The miracle of laminated old school rust bucket blade rehabs.

To instantly turn to humor on a brand war of this magnitude is doing a serious disservice to those of us who are just now saving pennies to buy our first name brand plane/tool in hopes we might also cause a moderator thread lock based on the strength of ownership.

In the future please continue heated debate for 24 hours prior to fellowship and good humor. Us noobs need our chances also.

Perhaps we've reached time for convention to change.

Serious debate can follow the people who've no objective other than to play weatherman with the thread pattern

Of course, I only saw the pins vs. tails argument one time, and at the time, i still couldn't figure out why someone who doesn't want to mark work in general would ever cut pins first. Sheesh And if you want to mark work first vs. just cutting the tails and then using them to do a very minimal marking scheme - yeah, you should have yours coming, too

Rick's post is definitely a lot more thoughtful than mine. I didn't have to do anything other than recall what always happens in this type of thread

Bruce I didn't mean to step on any toes. I am probably one of the most noobs here being only a few months in to this. I believe that if you were to ask a serious question in this or any other thread you would still get an honest and thoughtful reply. So ask away! No offense intended.

Rick

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Campbell View Post
    While I appreciate the self-enforced moderation and rapid degeneration into humor I'd like everyone to keep in mind that woodworking is a growing hobby. As such there are people here who have not had the vast experience necessary to immediately bring out the flamethrowers at the mention of Brand/method of work/place of manufacture.

There are many who have yet to weigh in on even such mundane topics such as tails/pins/(or as I dobutt joint and draw dovetails with a fine point pencil) first method much less the rarified beatification of Ron Hock vs. The miracle of laminated old school rust bucket blade rehabs.

To instantly turn to humor on a brand war of this magnitude is doing a serious disservice to those of us who are just now saving pennies to buy our first name brand plane/tool in hopes we might also cause a moderator thread lock based on the strength of ownership.

In the future please continue heated debate for 24 hours prior to fellowship and good humor. Us noobs need our chances also.
    You seemed less reactionary in the Evil Dead movies.
    Ron Conlon

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I just have one thing to say:

"WoodRiver" is a dumb name.

It sounds like a cheesy wannabe McMansion subdivision.

I agree. I mean what is a woo driver anyway???

Actually, I think they should move that capital to the left one and make it

"WooDriver"

A plane that would drive me to exclaim "WOOOO" might be cool. Or maybe it would help me in pitching woo to my best girlfriend. But any of these associations would certainly beat the cul-de-sac picture "wood river" paints in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Actually, I think they should move that capital to the left one and make it

"WooDriver"

A plane that would drive me to exclaim "WOOOO" might be cool. Or maybe it would help me in pitching woo to my best girlfriend. But any of these associations would certainly beat the cul-de-sac picture "wood river" paints in my mind.
    "Pitching woo?" Sean, you must be older than your picture would indicate!
    Ron Conlon

So...all joking aside, considering I'm not privy to whatever discussion has gone on prior to this posting, are the planes a joke or a contender?

Bobby

I think the consensus is that between the cheap planes (groz, et al) and the superb planes (LN and LV), they are price appropriate - capable planes that aren't quite as nicely finished as LN and LV.

Ok Bobby, here's me trying to answer your question to the best of my ability. I will focus my response on the functionality of the planes.

I am a relative newbie and currently only own two planes, a rehabbed Stanley No. 4 w/ Hock blade and a WoodRiver No 6, so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I will say that I have been very pleased with my WoodRiver (I mean WooDriver). When I got it the blade required honing, but everything else was ready to go. I've used it as a roughing plane, super smoother, shooting plane, and jointer, and can say that when set for a fine cut it easily takes transparent shavings and leaves a beautiful surface on domestic hard woods (maple, cherry, etc..). While the adjustment mechanisims are perfectly adequate my impression is that this is where LNs and LVs outshine a WR the most. Also, while I don't own any LN/LV planes I do have two LN backsaws and can attest to the fact that part of what you get when you buy their products is unbelievable product support and customer service.

All other debates aside my feeling is that the WRs are a great value especially if you wait for them to go on sale (which is what I did). While I think the current $155 price of the WR No 6 is still a good value for what you get, for $60 more you can get an LV Low angle Jack, which I think would be worth paying the extra money for. Of course, you also need to consider what you plan to use the plane for. For me, the WR No 6 filled both short and long term needs. In the short term it serves multiple puposes as I mentioned above. Hopefully, many of the tasks it currently handles will be taken over by LVs and LNs; however, even then I think it will still have a place as either roughing plane or an alternative to a larger jointer.

Now lets get back to the humor! So what is Woo Driver anyway? While "Woo" and "Driver" both have multiple definitions, I have list the two I think are most pertainent below.

Woo: "to court a romantic interest"

Driver: "one that provides impulse or motivation"

Therefore, a WooDriver Plane gives you the impulse or motivation to court a romantic interest. Isn't the power of hand tools amazing?