View Poll Results: What kind of Wood Working do you enjoy?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flat work

69 59.48%
  • Round work

3 2.59%
  • Both round and flat

44 37.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your pleasure

Blog Entries

Arrow What's your pleasure

Take the Poll and let us know what type of work you enjoy.
    Do you turn bowls, pens, both, etc.?
    Do you build kitchen cabinets, tables, book cases, etc.?
    I have an old lathe that belonged to my father but I enjoy doing "flat work". I like building book cases, small tables, and some kitchen cabinets.
    What's your favorite?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Von

in my line of work, cabinets and staircases, I do both. Steve

hobbies will get youin trouble

Started out with racing small sailboats (single and double hull, 15 to 20 footers). Then started to do maintenance on wooden boats. Ended up with no boats and some woodworking tools.

Have built lots of cabinets and casework type projects. Now that my house remodeling is over I think I would like to try chairbuilding and maybe some wood bending.

Design is my favorite part. Ever notice that some people can mix wood specis on a project and it looks really great and some people mix woods and they just look horrible.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

Round or Flat

I had to vote both because round and flat work all come out of my shop, but turning really is my main interest. Bowls, hollow forms, pens, etc., pretty much in that order.

Robert

It's both round and flat for me. Sometimes its round and flat at the same time. I really enjoy turning, but I also enjoy building furniture, especially when it actually fits together the way I want it to fit.

Bill

I'm a newbie. I like exploring different kinds of joints. Pretty funny.

- Ed

George@Colonel's Workshop Guest
    Good Afternoon Von,

I mostly "sold" my work to finance the shop, and was lucky to become affiliated with a couple antique shops. I restored and repaired their items, and they referred my to their customers who were in need of furniture repair or upholstery work. Consequently, I hardly ever knew what kind of a job I'd cope with next. I never advertised, and word of mouth brought me many different kinds of jobs. I like them all since they forced me to always push my envelope. Presently I am trying to transition my work so I can design and build more of my own stuff from scratch. I am beecoming more selective about what kind of furniture work I do for others, preferring not to do any stripping, or accepting anything which was never real good to begin with. I really like to complete a piece which required new parts, and have the restored item look as though the new parts came from the original maker, not out of my shop. I do some turning work associated with furniture repair, but turning does not provide me the enormous satisfaction I get from admiring an antique walnut nursing rocker which I restored by replacing missing parts, hand caning, oiling and waxing. That kind of thing makes me want another beer when the work is all done.

Cool Both

I'm fairly a greenhorn at either, but enjoy both. Each have their own challenges (to me, anyway ) and their own rewards. And then there's the "in between", like as in bandsaw boxes.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

9. Cool

Neither,

I work with mostly warped, bent and crooked lumber and tree branches.

It looks like the world is FLAT!!

Von,
    I'm kind of surprised at the results of your survey. Now I know how Galileo felt when he was imprisoned for saying that the world was round.

I must admit that I have bowed to the "flat" world in terms of mantle clocks, cabinets, jewelry boxes, etc.. On the other hand, I always look longingly at my PM 3520 lathe and apologize for my indiscretions as I do the "flat" stuff on my PM 66.

I would rather make all scrap on the 3520 than recreate the Mona Lisa on the 66.

The fact is that I make scrap on BOTH of them!

Anyway, the world is pear-shaped. The galaxy is elliptical and the universe is--who knows.??

I LOVE the lathe!! I'm addicted!! I'm not a well person!!

Dale T.
    Last edited by Dale Thompson; 05-06-2003 at 11:08 PM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Ahhh.....

if I could figure out how to turn a kitchen cabinet on the lathe it would be the best of two worlds............

oh, sorry, dozed off for a moment and had a weird dream.....

gary

Thumbs up Both but...

turning is a real joy for me, and so is other forms of woodworking...

yeah, both
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    Because I do not own a lathe it is awful hard to do round work. When I get my new shop and have more room LOML says I can have one, until then I guess I will have settle for making cabinets and furniture that are flat.

Bill Roland

Re: It looks like the world is FLAT!!

Originally posted by Dale Thompson
    Von,
    I'm kind of surprised at the results of your survey. Now I know how Galileo felt when he was imprisoned for saying that the world was round.
    Dale,

Why are you surprised? It seems to me that before we can "turn" a piece, we usually have to square off the ends and/or sides so that we can work with it.

Besides, I haven't yet seen a wooden toolbox that came completely from the lathe. Perhaps a handle and some knobs, but never the entire thing.

Cheers,
    Bob
    - who will be building his own wooden toolbox this summer!
    (gotta have something to hold all of my pen-turning tools ;-)
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

I do both but only really enjoy the flat work. Right now I find turning a little stressful, I figure that will subside when I get better and more comfortable with the spinning wood.
    Jim