Thread: Installing square fence on Miter Sled

Installing square fence on Miter Sled

How do you guys install your fence on a mitersled to ensure it's perfectly square the miter slot/blade? Do you just use a square and tack the fence in place with a pin nailer (followed by screws)? Or do you do something more methodical?

I use a framing square to set it, then glue and nail it in place. Then I screw on a face to the fence, check it more carefully, and shim behind the face with tape to get everything as square as possible. I use the 5-cut method to check how well I did. The face is up a bit from the base of the sled so there is somewhere for sawdust to go without needing to cut a rabbet in the fence.

Blog Entries
    Here's how I did my miter sled recently. When I did the five cut method to check it, the width of the cut off was less than .001" different from one end to the other 14" away.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm thinking of making one that rides on both rails. Similar to David Marks' sled.