Thread: Dale Brobst (Dale the Burl Guy) Passed Away

Dale Brobst (Dale the Burl Guy) Passed Away

Dale Brobst, a noted woodturner who sold burls and woodturnings on his site, "Dale the Burl Guy", died from injuries incurred in a woodturning accident. http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/79-y...ounty_man.html

Dale was a real gentleman who was an inspiration and a help to new woodturners and especially to me when I was starting out.

So sorry to hear about that. I didn't know him but it is terrible to hear about a woodworker dying from injuries from a shop fire. May he rest in peace.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I often think about the possibility of fire in the shop....Wood dust, wood storage, chemicals galore, electricity everywhere, etc. For that reason my shop has one large fire extinguisher and one small one at opposite ends of the room, easily accessible. The big one was $30 at Lowes and I hope I never have to be thankful I bought it.

I hope a lot of guys use this tragedy as an example of what can happen, and spend some time in the shop to make it safer. Being a building inspector I often cringe when I see pictures of peoples' shops posted here....Kraft faced insulation and/or foam board exposed to the shop instead of being covered with sheetrock or wood of some sort as an ignition barrier...Both are amazingly combustible and will ignite very, very easily.

What a shame. May the Lord comfort his family.

o man thats really sad to hear.

Left a note in his guestbook

I didn't know of this gentleman until reading in the forum today, but he seems to have been a good man, and passionate about what he did.

I hate thinking how his family must hurt, losing him because of his desire to return into the fire to think he could get it under control. Makes me think how we all get into that mode now and again, and don't see the bigger picture of the risks we take until the damage is done.

May the Lord be with his family and friends during this time.

More importantly, may we all stop to think about the risks we take and the things we could do to avoid or minimize them.

My wife says a prayer every time I go out to my workshop...I think I understand now.

Very very sad. I didn't personally know the gentleman but bought some wood from him once. Went out of his way to please and help. A real gentleman for sure. May he rest in peace.

fire extinguisher maintenance

I hope this helps prevent another tragedy. If your extingusher is the chemical type, rotate it regularly,[about every 3 months]. the chemical settles to the bottom, then if you have a fire, you only get the catalyst in the spray. about like not having an extinguisher. my experience speaking, Max.

I am saddened for the loss to his family and our community. I did not know him, but feel the loss all the same.
    Change One Thing

So sad to see. I hope and pray this encourages fellow woodworkers to keep shop safety in mind. It stuns me to see guys bragging up their shops, with no mention of any sort of mention of safety equipment such as extinguishers, smoke detectors, and the like...

This is a death that didn't need to happen either... According to the news article, he ran back IN to the burning house after getting out. This should be a STRONG reminder to keep out and let the professionals do their job. You won't save your property if you are dead...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

10. Saddened

I hope this is a reminder to all of us who have done things we knew were not as safe as they could be but we prayed we would not get caught by all the stars lining up correctly. Be safe, inventory your shop for hazards, and keep it clean and organized. Keep falmable chemicals stored in the proper cabinets and keep them away from gringing areas.

His woodturning family will miss him.

It is a sad day when we lose one. Our prayers are with his family. I agree with the others. I am as guilty as the rest. You just don't think or keep in mind when in the shop to keep shop safety first and foremost.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fire Extinguishers

Sad day indeed. Prayers to his family and friends. One of the biggest mistakes most people make is thinking that a fire extiguisher is to put out a fire. Unless the fire is just starting (and I mean very, very small) you can use a fire extinguisher; otherwise, leave the fire to the professional - firefighters and your insurance company. Everyone should have a working fire extinguisher and use for the primary purpose - to enable you to escape by slowing the fire path as you escape whether from your home, shop, rv, etc. Be sure to read the direction and understand how a fire extinguishers is to be use on a fire before there's a fire. Far too many think they know how to use fire extinguisher when they don't; which can only make the fire larger. Life to short as is - get out and stay out when there's a fire. PLEASE!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    Dale Brobst, a noted woodturner who sold burls and woodturnings on his site, "Dale the Burl Guy", died from injuries incurred in a woodturning accident. http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/79-y...ounty_man.html

Dale was a real gentleman who was an inspiration and a help to new wood turners and especially to me when I was starting out.
    I think it was from smoke inhalation, not from wood-turning injuries. His shop caught on fire.

A shame, regardless.
    Have a Nice Day!

In memory Dale

I was very saddened to hear about Dale. Dale was an excellent customer of mine, and I am going to miss our extended conversations about burls and turning; something he loved dearly. My deepest sympothy goes out to his family and friends. We are going to miss him dearly.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-05-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

My sympathies to Dale's family. Have done a little business with him in the past, he was a great turner!