Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: False Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    I also recieved a notice. Why not go ahead and participate. This kind of litigation is what forces the truth to be told in the future.

Why not? Because this kind of litigation will end up being a 'tax' (i.e., another hidden cost of doing business) that will drive up the cost of every lawnmower I buy for the rest of my life.

This garbage needs to stop. We need 'loser pays' laws here. The only thing worse than the lottery is having a lottery where the tickets have no cost.

Quote Originally Posted by George Sanders View Post
    I've always liked Shakespeare's line: "The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers."

As a holder of a JD and a BA in English Lit I love hearing this oft quipped quote! It actually means JUST THE OPPPOSITE of what most people that quote it mean to say .

The quote "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" comes from Shakespeare's Henry VI part 2 and is from the character Dick the Butcher. Dick didn't make his living cutting up meat but was a ruthless killer who was also rather funny and provided the classic comic relief Ole Willie was known for. He utters the phrase in his role as a plotter of treason. In the end the point of the qoute is that lawlessness has a much easier ability to thrive in an environment without lawyers.

I received one, but I disagree that this is the kind of lawsuit that has any "positive" benefit. Where do people think this money comes from? Company xyz is not losing 50 million dollars, they are passing 50 million dollars worth of expense to their customers. If you want a positive benefit have a very public prosecution of the individual(s) that are determined to be at fault (assuming there has been a violation of the law) and hand out some draconian sentences (think Enron).

Read (or listen to audio tapes/disks) John Grisham's novel "King of Torts." Although a fiction novel it gives you an idea of the class action legal lottery. (How much the lawyers get if they win, and how little the class participants get.)

We need lawyers.
    We are a nation of laws, and need laws to protect and correct; need laws to govern behavior (especially bad behavior); and we need lawyers to help execute our system of laws.

Although most lawyers are honorable some are simply legal scallywags.
    - No different than lousy folks in other professions who do what's legal, but not necessarily what's ethical or "right." (Think unethical Wall Street types, people who run up ungodly debt knowing they will declare bankruptcy, etc.)

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA