Thread: Yellowing effects of NC lacquer

Yellowing effects of NC lacquer

I'm making a Krenov style cabinet using maple for the sides and doors, and birdseye maple for the top. I've applied Boiled Linseed Oil to all surfaces and am pleased with the result so far.

I have purchased a can of Nitrocellulose lacquer which I plan to apply using a gravity feed HVLP sprayer in combination with a compressor. I've read that NC lacquer yellows with age. I'm having second thoughts about applying this lacquer. Is this yellowing a pleasant effect that would eventually enhance the look of the cabinet, or would it become a detraction. My other option would be to use Orange Shellac which I can buy at Lee Valley.

Your thoughts and comments are most welcome.

NC lacquer will not yellow nearly as much as the BLO you used to pop the grain. You should be just fine.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

The maple and the BLO will also yellow over time. Add in the yellowing of the NC lacquer and you've got some serious yellowing. I did this exact finish (BLO/NC Lacquer) on a curly maple table and didn't like the yellowing after 10 years. I stripped, re-sanded and applied an acrylic/poly waterborne and have been really pleased with it so far - it's staying much lighter. You can susbtitute a CAB-Acrylic lacquer for the NC if you want to stick with solvent based. My favorite was CAB-Acrylic from Sherwin Williams.

PS - if you want to punch the grain up without the BLO and it's yellowing effects, substitute a very light dewaxed shellac.

Jeff thanks for the advice. I checked with the my local Sherwin Williams and they have the CAB-acrylic in stock. I will probably follow this route.

What sheen did you use, and will it adhere over the BLO which has already been applied? I'm happy to let the BLO dry for a couple of weeks. Is thinning and cleaning is still done using regular lacquer thinner?

Sand the dried BLO with 400 grit and remove the residue with a cloth and denatured alcohol. The CAB reduces with lacquer thinner if necessary ----but typically manufacturers discourage thinning and I never thinned it as it's about 20-22% solids.