Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Next ?

I'm going to go a little against the grain on this... I agree with Bernie about face shields and sharpening equipment. You cannot do anything without either of these.

I would say no to the chuck. Learn to turn without it using faceplates and glue blocks. I have never dismounted a properly glued piece yet I have launched lots of properly mounted pieces from a chuck. A couple of faceplates and a ton of thick CA and accelerator can be had for the price of a good chuck. Oh, and changing jaws with a glue block...not going to happen. For the hollowforms I've been working on, glue-blocks have been VERY liberating.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    Hi Bernie - I have a Worksharp 3000, would that sufice as a sharpening system? and I havee a face shield as well.

Curt - what do you think of the Baracuda2 T/N? PSI will have it on sale for 199.95 with a bunch of accessories.
    Nick, the Barracuda won't fit your new lathe (if I recall you're getting a 1642?). The Barracuda would require an adaptor since it is threaded for a 1x8 spindle.

A lot can be done without a chuck, so it isn't needed, but it sure makes things easier and more versatile.

No disrespect to Steve at all, but a chuck is just easier, and it's not about how you do it... it's about what you create.

When it comes to glue blocks, face plates and screws, and chucks, I have had equal success in sending things flying. There are ways to make them all work, and a learning curve for each. For efficiency, the chuck is far faster. No screws, no screw gun, no face plates, no glue blocks, no glue. Drill a recess on the top to turn the bottom, then turn a recess for remounting. My chuck never comes off the lathe when I am turning and coring bowls.

robo hippy

Hi Bernie - I have a Worksharp 3000, would that sufice as a sharpening system? and I havee a face shield as well.

Curt - what do you think of the Baracuda2 T/N? PSI will have it on sale for 199.95 with a bunch of accessories.
    Have a look at Woodcraft. They have the super Nova 2 on sale for $119 reg priced at $174. Great chuck and a lot of people have them. I agree with Reed a chuck is easier to use and yes glue blocks, face plates, etc. have there place. I can say I have never used glue block yet. Never needed to use one. I am like Reed my chuck very seldom comes off the lathe except when I turn between centers.

I don't think the WS3000 isn't to well suited for woodturning IMHO. Most have the woodcraft or other slow speed grinder and the wolverine jig.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-27-2010 at 9:50 AM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have that chuck and use it on my Delta Midi. I've had no problems with it at all. Check the price on Amazon, sometimes they sell it via PSI for less.

Oh there is no doubt in my mind that a chuck is faster and more convenient. I'm just relating what I have noticed lately in my shop. There are lost so of accomplished turners who have more chucks than I have shavings (Richard Raffan comes to mind). I'm not saying chucks are a bad thing but I am saying I don't think you NEED one right away.

My 2 cents and I probably owe you change.

Cheers,
    Steve