Thread: Ray Iles Thread Chasing Tools, 16 tpi

Ray Iles Thread Chasing Tools, 16 tpi

Sold the Sorby set I had recently purchased, and bought these after reading about them. They are shorter and lighter - will post a review if I ever get around to it . Am going to make my own arm rest rather than buy such a simple device for the price they want for one. Crown makes thread chasers, too, in more sizes than the other companies. Just posting to show these tools, as one doens't hear as much about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so Mike how are you doing with chasing by hand ? are you getting the hang of it?

Bill

Mike I have been thinking about getting a set. I have been watching two of Mike Mahoney's DVD's where he does it freehand. Just uses his regular tool rest as a guide. He used them to make a threaded lid for a Urn and for his heirloom cannister set.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

bill, i tried them out today, just to get some thread cutting practice, not to make anything. noticeably lighter and more controllable than the Sorby set, to me. i'm going to practice for a good while before making anything. i'm also starting to hoard wood for the future (retirement in 9 years, yay!), including wood that takes threads well, like Lignum Vitae, Blackwood). If I make anything, though, I'll post it!

Pink Ivory is an other good one I'm told got a piece right before I left on vacation for three weeks. will be trying it as soon as I get back. Good pratice wood is hard maple I chased a bunch in that before I grabbed something more expensive. Be carefully with the black wood it is to brittle to use for both sets of threads.

Bill

Enjoy the learning curve. Mark ST Leger also makes a wonderful chaser.

bill, let us know how that pink ivory threads, will you? always on the lookout for a contrasting wood that will thread well (even if it is expensive).

Need to get a photo tent and good Camera. but will post pictures when done. been playing with plastics right before I left.

Bill