Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to I.D a walking cane?

How to I.D a walking cane?

I'm in the process of turning another cane for my Dad, this one is out of Walnut. I need some ideas for making a identification label for it. It has happened before when my Mother forgot her cane somewhere and couldn't remember where it was until she got a phone call that someone had it. She just taped an address label to it. My Dad did the same to the Maple one I made him a while back. What can I use that wouldn't look too tacky? I thought about trying to have it engraved but don't know anywhere around here that does that. I was figuring on using gloss lacquer for a final finish if it matters.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Maybe stop by a place that makes plaques and let them make a small label and screw it to the cane. It will look like it was made on there.It shouldn't cost no more than a couple of dollars.
    Donny

I must have had too much wine with the Valentines supper, never even thought of that.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Have someone laser the name and address into it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had 25 brass labels made for a project - cost about $30 for the lot. Of course they were all engraved with the same name. I used small brass nails to attach them.
    Jerry

There is a place here in town I found out that does trophy's and plaques. I wonder if the average trophy shop can do that?

Laser engrave I mean.

Matt...a lot of them do....check their advertisement in the Yellow Pages.

Matt....I just checked my local Yellow Pages...the companies that do lasering locally are listed as engravers.....Good luck!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-14-2010 at 8:41 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

There is a forum here for people that do laser engraving, I believe one even makes signature disks for bowl makers. An engraved, inlaid wood label would be special. Just about any trophy shop could engrave a brass plate, which could also be inset into the cane.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

could you use a dog tag like they sell at walmart etc have stuff engraved and screw it on

I made a brand to burn into the wood. also I have used a dremel to make my mark into the wood. Ken

Matt, if you have one you might check at your local Woodcraft Store. We have on in Lexington, KY and they do laser engraving for a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    I'm in the process of turning another cane for my Dad, this one is out of Walnut. I need some ideas for making a identification label for it. It has happened before when my Mother forgot her cane somewhere and couldn't remember where it was until she got a phone call that someone had it. She just taped an address label to it. My Dad did the same to the Maple one I made him a while back. What can I use that wouldn't look too tacky? I thought about trying to have it engraved but don't know anywhere around here that does that. I was figuring on using gloss lacquer for a final finish if it matters.

"The best things in life are not things."

Use a woodburner on it. Less than $10 at a craft store, maybe even Wally World
    Peace, Patience, and Perseverance

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
    Use a woodburner on it. Less than $10 at a craft store, maybe even Wally World
    I thought of this but was afraid it would turn out like chicken scratching.

No WC close to me, closest one is about 70 miles. I think when I get it done and before I put a finish on it I'm going to take to the local trophy shop and see what he suggests. Its made from Walnut so something dark, like a black plaque with gold letters wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Matt here is another idea. I think I saw this on one of the SMC forums but I can seem to find the thread. One of the guys making pens used decal paper to place the an exert from the 2nd amendment on his bullet pens. The paper comes from here:
    http://www.decalpaper.com/default.asp
    Basically you finish the pen or in your case the cane then put the decal on it and then finish over the decal making a permanent inlay so to speak of the words you want. The wording be it an address, phone number or 2nd amendment is printed on the decal paper with your standard laser or inkjet printer then cut to shape, dipped into water and then slid off backing paper onto the product.
    If anyone knows where the thread is where the pen maker is using this process I would appreciate some help finding it again.

BTW it not only works for words it will work for any graphic that you can print with your printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    Last edited by James Combs; 02-15-2010 at 11:27 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

If the trophy shops don't engrave try a jewelry store. They usually do engraving. Maybe you could incorporate a brass or copper ferrule/ring on the cane. You could have that engraved.