Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered lathe, designing stand

I have seen alot of well made highly personalized lathe stands on this site. I am collecting ideas in case I have the opportunity to get a smaller lathe. Here is a link to one that has some ergonomic appeal and versatility. Go to huntcountywoodturners.org then click on club projects and then sit down lathe. This stand works well with the smaller Jet type lathes and could be engineered to handle the 46-460.

Quote Originally Posted by James Henderson View Post
    I decided to punt. I ordered the standard metal stand, so that I can focus on learning to turn and not have to build a stand immediately.

I'm sure that after I use this for a while, I'll be in a much better position to build something that overcomes whatever limitations become apparent. ToolNut sells the Delta stand for $129, which seems reasonable to buy some time and immediate experience with the machine.
    Jim, we both seem to be night owls on the forums!

We had the 46-460 Delta VS Midi setup in the front of the shop for about 4 months with stand and extension stand. It was extremely solid and we all spent some time turning on it...if you could call my technique(s) wood turning.

What stands out to me is how robust, solid and well situated the stand makes this lathe. It turns it into something a bit more than we all expected. I think you'll see what I mean when it gets to you. You'll be very pleased. I certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bob, you are simply feeling the lonliness of your Nova - it wants a little friend!
    John...

I think that the next step after entering the Vortex is anthropomorphizing your lathe. I fear we are all doomed.

Mike, that is a neat idea on the sit down stand! Thanks for the post.