Thread: Fireplace Mantel

Fireplace Mantel

I am getting ready to start my next project. I am going to redo our "builders special" fireplace mantel. It will be painted, so I had initially planned on using MDF, however I have two small children and I am concerned about its durability. I have tossed around poplar but would anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Soft maple. A lot harder than poplar and easy to paint. Usually the wood is miscolored and is best painted.

Thanks Leo!
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Poplar will be cheaper but MDF will damage easier on the corners. The flat areas of MDF are quite hard.

There's building code about flammable materials near fireplaces. Our code (yours might be different) says "No combustible material within 12" of the fireplace opening may project more than 1/8" for each 1" of clearance from the opening."

Pine with plywood can be an option too. Just seal it before painting (wood sealer sold at paint or hme store) and use good primer.

I built this about 6 years ago, it's MDF. As you can probably tell from the mixture of artwork on the mantle, I have young children; durability has not been an issue. MDF is brittle on hard edges but from a design standpoint you want to avoid that anyway, on a mantle an edge profile like a stopped chamfer works really well.

roll your edges 1/8th inch or better and durability will increase

jim