Thread: DNA drying and chisel handle blanks?

DNA drying and chisel handle blanks?

I read recently about the DNA drying process and perhaps I didn't research it enough but it seems it is used primarily for hollow cylinders and bowls. Could it be used for solid blanks such as chisel handle blanks, say 1.5 -2" square? If it could be used for blanks, what is the correct sequence of events? Thanks.

Marty Weatherup

Marty:

Follow this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=drying

There is a lot of good information in it along with links to additional threads.
    Last edited by Greg Just; 01-17-2010 at 9:54 AM. Reason: typo

Marty I use DNA on all my bowls and lidded boxes that are green wood. I have used it on a couple of handles for gouges. Don't know it if it right or wrong but I soak my wood 3 to 5 days. Handles I soaked for 5 days and they were dry and ready to turn in about 2 to 3 weeks. I wrapped them in a couple of layers of newspaper and left the ends open. Worked pretty good. I also soak fruit wood 5 days.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the replies. I have some Alaska birch turning blanks that I salvaged from my firewood pile. They were from slabs I got back from the sawmill last year when I had some birch sawed for lumber. They are running around 15-18% moisture right now according to my Delmhorst meter. I think I will try a DNA soak, a boil and DNA soak and compare those the the five I have sitting behind the wood stove to dry. Thanks again.

Marty