Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIVE from Colonial Williamsburg

LIVE from Colonial Williamsburg

We're here in Colonial Williamsburg attending the eighteen century woodworking seminar, first session. This year it focuses on Thomas Jefferson's Monticello furniture and woodwork. Lots of great presenters last night and today. Roy Underhill was entertaining as usual, and didn't even cut himself once. Cory and Mack Headley and a couple apprentices are offering good demonstrations and background on the some of Jefferson's furniture.

I just had to sneak away at lunch and do a little exploring in and around the historic district. I found my way to the Prentis Store and came away poorer, lots poorer, but with a couple treasures made in the blacksmith's shop. The holdfasts will replace the ones stamped "Woodcraft" when I do eighteenth century woodworking at reenactments, and the little marking scribe and knife will fit nicely into my tool tray. I'll take my camera tomorrow and post some more pictures. Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Oh Man, am I jealous!

Both holdfasts and marking knife are on my list to obtain, and *YOU* got them in Williamsburg!

I have got to save my pennies for next year.

Hope you are enjoying the presentations.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Oh Man, am I jealous!

Both holdfasts and marking knife are on my list to obtain, and *YOU* got them in Williamsburg!

I have got to save my pennies for next year.

Hope you are enjoying the presentations.
    Mike
    Mike, you need to save about 17200 pennies! Priceless. I look at it this way, I contribute annually to Williamsburg, so I'm just upping my contribution. The things they do and preserve cannot be replaced.

Bob, thanks for the update. If you can get any pictures of the stand up desk that would be appreciated, I have no idea what it looks like and will be making a stand up desk soon so I was hoping to get some ideas.

Barry, I'll do better than that. If you send me your address, I'll send you the plans they provided for the desk. At least I think they provided those plans in the packet. PM me with your address. I'd take some pictures, but they told us if we took pictures they would be for personal use only. I don't know it they would object I if posted session pictures on the net.

Barry, are you referring to the one that Roy copied on his show, if so its in The Woodwrights Apprentice pg.46.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I'm also jealous! can't wait to see more of it!
    Thank you Bob to take the time!

Nice haul Bob! And thanks for the update. I'll be attending the second session and can't wait to get there.
    I saw that little striking knife on a bench in the carpenters shop and took 4 or 5 pictures of it as I really liked the style and size of it. I am in the process of making 2 of them now. The only thing I have left is to heat treat the blade end.
    Thanks again for the update. Anxiously looking forward to more. Enjoy the rest of the conference and the colonial area!

I'm in Maryland right now enroute to the second session which starts on Sunday afternoon. I can't remember, but this will be my 10th or 11th year of the conference. I hope things are going well for you Bob.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Friday afternoon

Well I snuck off at lunch for more adventures and discovery, only this time, I took my camera. I post the cabinet shop first.

Here's the coopers shop and the foundry where they make guns and rifles. The machine in rifle shop is used to cut the rifling in the barrels. I'm not a gun guy or cooper, but I know you guys are out there.

Not necessarily tools, but neander

Just a few shots of interest

Let me know if you're getting bored!

Honestly, if you haven't been here, you just need to come. This is my third trip to colonial Williamsburg, and it is just over the top. I can highly recommend the eighteenth century woodworking seminar each January also. No pictures from the siminar as they requested any pictures taken for private use only.

Some random shots around town.

A few pictures of period pieces from the Dewitt Museum and Shields Tavern.

Thanks Bob. Very kind of you to take the time to post the photos and of course your comments and commentary on same.

Art.