Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FRUSTRATED! Epilog changing home

Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    ....if I ran the job from memory once and it worked fine then I should expect the same results on the second pass.

Right? or am I missing something?
    Not necessarily, since all (on my part) was related to a bad drawing that I thought was good in the first place just by the looks of it, so weather or not it was in the laser memory, I was getting intermittently bad alignment in my end results.

Did you use the Corel trace tool to create your drawing ?

Ben

I'm just wondering why your running 'two' passes on granite. Granite does not require much power to etch. Real Marble, can benefit from a second pass (gets much whiter) but granite offers no real improvement on multiple passes...Sometimes if you run a photo a little too light, a second light pass may improve it (but your taking a chance)..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I agree with Bill on the granite one pass should be enough. As for the shifting problem have had the same thing happen and changing the cable has fixed it both times. That cable gets lots of use and bending especially if your doing a big piece and running the head full travel. It's easy to have a wire break inside the cable. I've replaced 3 on mine in 5 years first one went in like 6 months and the others have lasted . Replaced the last one about a year ago. And at 15 bucks each might just start keeping one handy and replace every year.
    All I can say about Epilog service is it's top notch and have had me up and running over night even when I broke on a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend , had the part here Saturday morning from a Dealer in LA.
    They hand carried the part to UPS after hours and shipped it overnight at no extra charge.
    rich

Quote Originally Posted by rich shepard View Post
    I agree with Bill on the granite one pass should be enough. As for the shifting problem have had the same thing happen and changing the cable has fixed it both times. That cable gets lots of use and bending especially if your doing a big piece and running the head full travel. It's easy to have a wire break inside the cable. I've replaced 3 on mine in 5 years first one went in like 6 months and the others have lasted . Replaced the last one about a year ago. And at 15 bucks each might just start keeping one handy and replace every year.
    All I can say about Epilog service is it's top notch and have had me up and running over night even when I broke on a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend , had the part here Saturday morning from a Dealer in LA.
    They hand carried the part to UPS after hours and shipped it overnight at no extra charge.
    rich
    Flipping the cable seems to have worked so far... The new one is suppossed to be here today... I guess the odd part in all of this is why it went out in just 2 months, is this the service exception to the rule... I just got the odd man out but most go for a year before they need a new one? I dunno, I can tell you that I appreciate the advice from folks here and the support of Epilog walking me through this though...

Doug
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Blog Entries
    Bad cables right off of the shelf happen, though it should be exceedingly rare. They can be damaged during installation, but you would have to be kind of harsh on it. Poor QC of the materials going into the cable or construction during manufacture can happen, and this would be the most likely cause. I will say, though, an average lifetime of 1 year for a cable to break means either the cable QC is poor or the design of the cable/connection should be looked at again, even in a production environment... semiconductor manufacturers use flex cables for their test/assembly equipment (which moves a lot like the laser carriage), and they would be pretty ticked off if the equipment had a MTBF of 1 year due to something like a cable (other issues are a more likely failure mode).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi,

Have your metal rod on top of x axis encoder, which holds to and fro the air hose got any touch with x bare board, if so, would make some problem

Rgds,
    Saravanakumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

9:47 am and the part showed up at my door... woo hoo.... thanks folks....
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."