Thread: new easel

new easel

My wife is an artist and has been painting on a small portable easel for a while. She started hinting around for a larger one, a more permanent type. She wanted it on wheels to hide away when not in use. I decided to build her one for Christmas. The base is hiding a 25lb weight for counter balance. It will tilt forward 10 degrees or so, and back around 30 degrees. I thought I was done until I wrapped it. That was a job! But it was worth it when she opened it. Now I'm taking a break
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Grossi View Post
    My wife is an artist and has been painting on a small portable easel for a while. She started hinting around for a larger one, a more permanent type. She wanted it on wheels to hide away when not in use. I decided to build her one for Christmas. The base is hiding a 25lb weight for counter balance. It will tilt forward 10 degrees or so, and back around 30 degrees. I thought I was done until I wrapped it. That was a job! But it was worth it when she opened it. Now I'm taking a break
    That's not an easel.. It's an ADVENTURE!
    Nice work.
    J
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

Great design, and a very nice result! With that much mass and weight, mobility was a smart move. BTW, if that is one of your wife's paintings - NICE!!

John: This a nice piece of work , I know that your wife as well as anyone else would love this . The talent shows for sure ..............Marshall
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

Very nice results John. My wife ask why I was tilting over the side of our computer desk chair viewing pictures until she saw the 4 of 5 posted were taken vertical and posted horizonal. Of course she really wasn't surprised that much as she is aware of the fact I behave rather strangely 24/7.

Excellent job on the build and the casters were definitely a good idea especially considering the counter-weigh. That will save you many... "honey.. I finished for the evening now so could you move my easel over to"...... ha.. ha..

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks for the nice words. That is one of my wife's paintings. She is very detailed so I knew I couldn't just throw something together. A year ago I made her a mobile art table, one she could close up, push by the couch and look like a piece of furniture. She really likes that so I figured I would give the easel a shot. As far as the way the pics are posted; can I change it from horizontal to vertical during the posting? I guess I thought the viewer could right click and switch it. Wrong. I will be more careful next time. John