Thread: Bosch 1590/1591 jigsaw - barrel or top handle?

Bosch 1590/1591 jigsaw - barrel or top handle?

Hello,

I know that this has been discussed before, but at the risk of boring everyone, I’d like to revisit the issue again. I want to buy either the barrel type or the top handle type of the Bosch jigsaw, but unlike many of you, I have no way to compare the two, since my local Home Depot and Lowe’s carry only the top handle type.

My hands aren’t big, but I think that I could handle the barrel type. Problem is, I really have no way to get a feel for its size (diameter).

I’ve read that many (maybe most) of you say that the barrel type allows more precise control of the cut. Is that true, regardless of what kind of cut you are doing?

Keeping in mind the fact that I have no way to examine the barrel version, which way should I go?

Thanks,
    Louis

Blog Entries
    Completely depends on you. I do not have large hands but I do prefer the barrel grip. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you will prefer it. I used to use a top handle saw but had always preferred the barrel and so went that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree it is too personal, and it also sucks that neither place has the barrel grip. I would love to try one, although I have read here, it is more for right handers (switch issue for left handed people, read about here). Since you have access to HD, the only suggestion I have, is you would have to order the barrel grip via Amazon and if you don't like it, send it back.

From what I have READ (general impression), the people who prefer the top handle, do more scroll/curved work, verse the top handle, more straight/subtle curve work.

It is a matter of preference. I love my top handle Bosch, and I don't care as much for the barrel. I think you just need to find a way to give them both a try. OTOH, both work really well. I don't think you are sacrificing much either way,

I def prefer the top handle version. I originally bought the top handle version with no experience with barrel version and have absolutely loved the feel and accuracy of the cut. I became interested in barrel version after being at work and my buddy using it for cutting doug fir tounge and groove board around my electrical boxes. I had to give it try. I ended up being somewhat disappointed with the feel of it after all the rave reviews of this style. Just didn't feel as if I had the control that I do with the top handle version. But then again my buddy feels the complete oposite way that I do. So as everyone else has said, it is completely up to personal preference. IMHO, if you have small hands like me I think you'll like the top handle version better.

I have the top handle.
    I've used a barrel type a couple of times, and did not really like it.

I like the barrel because it keeps the hand at the lowest position,which I feel makes for stability in the cut. I do have large hands,though.

I am in the retail business, we sell both, the handle outsells the barrel 3:1 .. (at our place)..

I think the barrel is more popular for flat work.. cutting out sinks etc..

I have the handle version.. Its fine.. I dont use it that much.. its one of those .. when you need it, no other tool will do items..

Order both online, see which one you want, and send the one you don't like back.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,

I know that this has been discussed before, but at the risk of boring everyone, I’d like to revisit the issue again. I want to buy either the barrel type or the top handle type of the Bosch jigsaw, but unlike many of you, I have no way to compare the two, since my local Home Depot and Lowe’s carry only the top handle type.

My hands aren’t big, but I think that I could handle the barrel type. Problem is, I really have no way to get a feel for its size (diameter).

I’ve read that many (maybe most) of you say that the barrel type allows more precise control of the cut. Is that true, regardless of what kind of cut you are doing?

Keeping in mind the fact that I have no way to examine the barrel version, which way should I go?

Thanks,
    Louis

Jig Saw

I have small hands and have used both types. I have much better control and am more comfortable with the "top-handle" type jigsaw.

Top Handle preference

I have owned the top handle for 10-12 yeqars and love it. Before buying it I tried a barrel type and opted for the top handle. I feel as if I have more control with it.