Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumber Storage racks?

+1 for the Titan racks. I bought two on sale and my setup looks like Grant's.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I purchased two sets of the Triton racks when they were on sale but haven't put them up yet. From everything I have read about them they are very good. I paid around $35 per set, I don't think I could build a lumber rack out of wood for much less than this.
    I dont want to horn in on this post...but where did you get these racks on sale for $35. I am in the market for a couple of sets and the cheapest I see them for is $69.

Thanks
    Anthony

Anthony, last year several places had them on sale at different times. I think that Woodcraft had them for the $35, but I'm not sure. If you aren't in a hurry just watch for the sales. Make a list of the things you need for your shop and wait for them to be listed somewhere on sale. Other than buying second hand it's the best way to equip your shop. When I saw the Tritons for $35 a set I knew that I couldn't build a better rack for that price.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Anthony,
    Every time I enter the SMC site I check the DEALS AND DISCOUNTS area, I don't recall who posted the sale but that is where I got the information. I believe I bought them online from Woodcraft.
    If you are interested in deals and discounts, check it out every time you visit this site. I have found many deals there. Make sure you hit the CLASSIFIEDS area as well.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Anthony,
    Every time I enter the SMC site I check the DEALS AND DISCOUNTS area, I don't recall who posted the sale but that is where I got the information. I ...
    One word of caution: Checking the deals and discounts can get very expensive. Like David, I have saves a lot of money because of tips I've found here, but I have also spent a lot of money saving money.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Has anyone here used the Grizzly/Shop Fox Wood Rack & Shelf Brackets?

Lee Valley's Lumber Storage System looks sturdier (and has a higher weight load) but comes in at more than double the cost for the brackets. I was intending to mount every-other stud but with the Grizzly's costing half the price I could go with every stud (which better distributes the weight on the boards and walls).

The Triton rack only has 12" arms rated at 110 lbs and is slightly pricier when not on sale (compared to an equally spec'd grizzly system)

I'm also looking at the white shelving from Lowes but all of my racks will be overhead my primary work areas and piled deep which makes me wary of using them for a cost savings.

Thanks for any inputs!

-Scott
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I can't speak for the Grizzly or ShopFox, but I have the Lee Valley and it will hold alot of weight. Well worth the investment, IMO.

Grizzly / Shop Fox Rack

I bought the Grizzly/Shop Fox lumber rack but haven't put it up yet. It took a long time to get them from Grizzly as they were back ordered, but I am satisfied with the looks of brackets and rails and I think they are a good buy relative to some of the other systems on the market. I think the capacity is something like 200lbs per bracket (I got the 18 inch brackets - the 12 inch brackets are 300lbs per bracket) and I will have 6 brackets per row so I doubt I will have near the 1200lbs per level limit.

I will have to report back when I get it installed (which may be a while as I have other priorities in the garage/shop before I move the lumber pile to put up the rack)

Mike

some other altenatives in this thread
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122262

I like the verticle racks...