Thread: First Time w/ Cherry & Makore

First Time w/ Cherry & Makore

Hello,

I have created a coat rack out of Cherry with some panels out of Makore. It is an interesting looking combination.

I have some questions about staining it though.

I have read many times on here that one shouldn't stain Cherry. While I can understand the point that it will darken over time, what I don't know is how long that usually will take and also is it really that bad to just put one coat of stain over it to just start to get it darker? I was thinking of staining it Cherry.

Also, as far as the Makore is concerned, I want the two woods to be contrasting enough to be noticable, but not by a lot. The Makore already looks more red than the Cherry does now. Should I stain the Makore, or just leave it natural and put a finish on it?

Thanks!

Put a piece of tape over a scrap of cherry and set it in the sun for a few hours. Take it inside and remove that tape. That will give you an idea of how much it will darken. How long will it take? Depends upon how much light it will get. You might try the same thing with the makore and see if it changes at all with exposure to sunlight.

Personally, I wouldn't stain any of it - I'd put on some blond shellac, rub it out and put on some wax and call it a day. But it's your piece, not mine so it's up to you.

I agree I would not stain either.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Shellac over BLO. $0.02