Thread: Sandpaper sources for hook and loop?

Sandpaper sources for hook and loop?

I'm looking for 2" hook and loop. What's the most economical way to get this? I've heard people cutting their own from sheets. Where do you buy your sheets and also 2" diam. hook and loop? What grits do you use for bowls? I've gone nuts trying to use the search here looking for this info. Thanks for any ideas.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Here you go Alan, I get my sheets from Industrial Abrasives.

http://www.industrialabrasives.com/i...roducts_id=338

Dale

i so rarely hear people call it hook and loop.

Alan - I use Vince's Blue Line of 2" hook & loop (velcro) sanding disks and have been very happy with the product! Check it out: http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hi Alan,

I do use the discs from Vince. They are great products. But I believe the blue discs are 2-3/8". There are times when I want to sand right up to a detail and like the discs not to hang over the disc holder. But that is just me. But the Blue discs last a long long time.

I also use the discs from Steve Worchestor and the Tim Skilton disc holders that he sells. To me, the Tim Skilton pads are the best I have ever used.

http://www.turningwood.com/

Having dealt with both of them for years, you cannot find any better vendors on the internet. In my opinion.

As for grits, I use 120-400 on most of my work. I have not found the need to go finer. But, many turners do. But that works for me.

Best wishes,

Dave

I got mine form Vince, and though they are oversize, good for inside of bowl, there is a 2 3/8" interface pad that goes all the way to the edge of the disc, then tapers inward, for the outside of the bowl. Look on his site for clarification. A great guy to deal with.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Another vote for the products from Vince.

Here is where I get mine

Alan, I have found that there are lots of places to get hook and loop paper and discs. The 3-M purple from "Sanding Glove" are most likely the best and longest lasting I have ever used. I have not bought any from them but have friends that work for 3-M and I get mine almost free! But when I buy my paper I buy from "ONLINE INDUSTRIAL" you get a quality product and for the price you can cut out as many discs as you want or need in many sizes! Here is the link to there online site.

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/holosaro.html

You really can't beat the prices!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I use Klingspor's rolls. I have 2 1/8" and 3 1/8" hole saws with the teeth ground off. I simply use my drill press to cut them out like a cookie cutter. To sharpen or grind off the teeth off the hole saw, chuck it into a drill and spin it against a dry grinding wheel till a bevelis formed on the edge of the hole saw. Use a scrap of wood clamped to the table of the drill press. It is best to empty the disks out of the hole saw every two or three disks. Do not try to cut them with teeth on the hole saw. It is too grabby and can be dangerous. Sharpness will depend on the grit and what the backing material used.

Thanks guys for all the info. I did order from Vince and have printed out this entire discussion for future reference. Great info. here as usual.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Sorry I'm late on posting on this. I get mine form the same place Vince gets his. Try going to the sorce. www.abrasivesUSA.com or call them at 1-877-346-2727. Very nice folks to do bussines with. Good luck Roger

Vince did tell me a while ago that he had sheet stock available so you can punch out your own discs.

The biggest problem with the 3M discs is that they are only available in PSA (sticky back) and only in grits up to 220.

robo hippy